volt/hivi 2 way - thoughts appreciated - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2006, 12:49 PM   #1
mick164 is offline mick164  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Default volt/hivi 2 way - thoughts appreciated

hello,

this is my current project, built over 2 weekends in my parents basement. it's a 22 litre reflex loaded 2-way, using a Volt LS201 bass/mid and a HiVi1.3 isodynamic tweeter. currently using a first-order crossover and an L-pad to take the tweeter down a bit.

I was wondering if anyone here had used these units and what their thoughts on them were?

also, i reckon i need some baffle step compensation.. music with deep bass sounds good but rock can sound thin. however, i seem to come up with wildly different component values using the various formulas i've come across on the web. any thoughts on a simple way of achieving this? figuring out the crossover isn't my strong point!

thanks..

mick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00252i.jpg (43.3 KB, 282 views)
Old 24th March 2006, 02:34 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hmm nice work. I love the translaminated cabinet construction (i think).
Isn't the horizantal dispersion on the Planar hivi limited?
OH, as for your baffle step compensation question there should be something on the internet. If you have problems with crossover design try using the FRD consortium crossover designer spreadsheets.
Old 24th March 2006, 11:41 AM   #3
mick164 is offline mick164  Ireland
diyAudio Member

..thanks for that angsuman. the cabinet construction actually isn't that exotic at all.
as regards the drivers, they both have a pretty flat response on paper. the HiVi tweeters response does roll off off-axis, but it's smooth and in practise they're fine..

Hide this!Advertise here!