Need help finding replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all, new to DIY and want to help my roommate. He has a pair of Design Acoustics PS-10 speakers that he is using as monitors for his home studio. The problem is that the surround is destroyed on one of the 10" drivers. I can't find much info at all regarding these guys on the internet, but I have happened to find Milo Kosich's email (who apparently designed these speakers) just doing a google search, seems he works as a consultant/sales guy on some high-end stuff now. Thing is, I don't want to bother the guy about a design he did 20+ years ago just to get specs or (even better) T/S params and interior box volume. If anybody knows what drivers were used in these speakers or could suggest replacement woofers, I'd be very encouraged. Either way, I'm going to throw something in there, or maybe see if repairing the surround works.

These things have a little graph next to the pot(for eq) that shows FR and I see something like FLAT from 180Hz up and nice FR down to about 45Hz.

Hi,

you should replace the surrounds of both 10" units using a kit.

Anything else is will be far more complicated, or change the speakers.

/sreten.

Thanks for the advice, sreten. I'm leaning more towards changing the speakers because I'm not that comfortable replacing surrounds right now, and the edge of the cone seems to have suffered a bit, I'm not sure I'll do it justice. Also, the cone is, because of the extreme state of the surround, just kinda freewheelin' around and might have shorted something by now.

I've measured and calculated (roughly) the box volume got 0.65 cuft (sealed). So I've been plugging in T/S into box calcs and looking for something that goes to about 45Hz. I'm running Kubuntu Linux, so my options for speaker design programs are limited (in fact I can't seem to find anything decent, if you know something, let me know, please).

I've taken some pics, and am posting them. Maybe someone will ID the driver, and I can pick something with similar or better params, or be able to look at the box and suggest something.

Attachments

• ps10a_driver_busted.jpg
    ps10a_driver_busted.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 331
Here's the inside of cabinet with stuffing. I know that stuffing changes apparent box size, I'm not sure by how much. I also took into account the midrange enclosure, I assumed it was 1 litre, but I think that it's a little bigger than that. It's glued to the back of the baffle, so I can't remove it to measure dimensions to get volume, and I tried removing midrange to measure from inside, but after removing hex screws it was still stuck pretty well to baffle and I didn't want to damage material (the baffle is coated or made from some nice dense suede-like material that seems to stop baffle diffraction pretty darn well).

Attachments

• ps10_stuffing.jpg
    ps10_stuffing.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 67
Hi,

I needn't mean to say change the drivers, I meant anything else you
could do would change the sound of the speakers i.e. change the
speakers into something else.

You should replace the surround of both 10" drivers. Any minor
damage of the edge should not be an issue. The kits you can
get nowadays are very good and some sites have download
videos taking you through the procedures step by step.

Getting replacement drop-in bass drivers is not difficult for a 3-way.
You do need to know :
1. Speaker sensitivity - dB/2.83V
2. driver impedance - easily estimated with a voltmeter
3. Internal volume of the speaker
Type of speaker - sealed or reflex - 4. need port dimensions.

In choosing a new bass driver you need to guesstimate the sort
of bass alignment used if you want to replicate it. Or you can try
and improve the alignment by choosing a different alignment.

You could possibly also go from sealed to reflex or vice versa.

:)sreten.

OK, update. Looked into replacing surrounds with kits.

Upsides :
1) Economical

Downsides
2) Difficult if not impossible in this situation. Lip of surrounds seem to be bound between basket and plastic mounting ring. Ring is definately sealed tightly with basket, making it very difficult to remove without damaging.

Don't see much in my area for speaker repair, I'm going to call the limited resources I got from the web today. In the meantime, I've measured the midrange's enclosure, and got ~2 litres. This takes the actual interior volume down to about 15.41 litres from 17.41 litres. However, the box is packed with stuffing, probably something like 80-90% and considering the driver is downfiring and only 1 inch from base, I think it's acting as if mass-loaded. So I really have no idea what the volume appears to be to the driver.:confused: :bawling: :smash:

Here's attachment of driver/base spacing:

Attachments

• ps10a_driver_spacing.jpg
    ps10a_driver_spacing.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 65
Oops, also I hear scraping when I lightly manually push cone. Do you think there's a good chance that the speaker is wasted? I have to hunt for my multimeter...haven't used it since high school. If I measure terminals, should I disconnect from crossover? Do I have to worry about caps discharging from measuring across terminals? Speaker was used in the last 24 hrs, so caps might still have something in em.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.