Eton 11-581 in TL box? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2006, 06:09 PM   #1
ronning is offline ronning  Norway
diyAudio Member

Question Eton 11-581 in TL box?

I have a pair of Eton 11-581 that i still havent used, and was woundering if any of you have seen or heard them in a transmission line box? The figures look good, but i have never heard of anybody(commercial or diy) using this driver for a transmission line, so I was wounderiung if maybe i missed out on something?
Old 20th March 2006, 11:52 PM   #2
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

It's Qts is a bit low, so for a 'classic' end loaded TL it needs to be tuned to around 70 Hz (max flat impedance alignment) for best results, so figure response down to around 35-40 Hz in a corner. To get gain all the way to Fs will require a huge cab.

GM
Old 5th March 2009, 10:05 PM   #3
dpaws is offline dpaws  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Just wondering what you ended up building? I've just bought a pair and am looking at a TL tuned to ~26Hz from ~90 litres...
Old 5th March 2009, 10:50 PM   #4
pkitt is offline pkitt  United States
diyAudio Member

For this exact same Eton woofer, I modeled a 15:1 tapered TL that has a closed-end area of 11" x 15" and an open-end area of 11" x 1" with a line length of 60" and with the woofer's center 12" from the closed end. This gave very good results; an F3 of 28 Hz and very little ripple (+/- 1 dB) above 200 Hz. I used a stuffing density of 1 lb/cu.ft. for the first 31" of the line. The tuning frequency is much, much lower than your suggested 70 Hz.

Quote:
Originally posted by GM
Greets!

It's Qts is a bit low, so for a 'classic' end loaded TL it needs to be tuned to around 70 Hz (max flat impedance alignment) for best results, so figure response down to around 35-40 Hz in a corner. To get gain all the way to Fs will require a huge cab.

GM
Old 5th March 2009, 11:03 PM   #5
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

It's also not a TL, which is what the OP asked for, but a high compression ratio TQWT.

That said, had he just asked for suggestions, a 10:1 CR TQWT is my default for such drivers.

GM
Old 5th March 2009, 11:15 PM   #6
pkitt is offline pkitt  United States
diyAudio Member

Default What's not a TL?

What I described is just as much a TL as what you described. It happens to be tapered to provide a much better (smoother) response than a "classical" non-tapered TL with a lower F3 to boot. You're nit-picking and mincing words (remember Bill Clinton asking what "is" meant when he was on "trial") and only adding to confusion about what is or is not a TL when you make statements like this. A TL, whatever its configuration or specific name, utilizes the 1/4-wavelength resonant frequency of the line to augment bass response.

Quote:
Originally posted by GM
It's also not a TL, which is what the OP asked for, but a high compression ratio TQWT.

That said, had he just asked for suggestions, a 10:1 CR TQWT is my default for such drivers.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!