Eton 11-581 in TL box?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of Eton 11-581 that i still havent used, and was woundering if any of you have seen or heard them in a transmission line box? The figures look good, but i have never heard of anybody(commercial or diy) using this driver for a transmission line, so I was wounderiung if maybe i missed out on something?

Greets!

It's Qts is a bit low, so for a 'classic' end loaded TL it needs to be tuned to around 70 Hz (max flat impedance alignment) for best results, so figure response down to around 35-40 Hz in a corner. To get gain all the way to Fs will require a huge cab.

GM

For this exact same Eton woofer, I modeled a 15:1 tapered TL that has a closed-end area of 11" x 15" and an open-end area of 11" x 1" with a line length of 60" and with the woofer's center 12" from the closed end. This gave very good results; an F3 of 28 Hz and very little ripple (+/- 1 dB) above 200 Hz. I used a stuffing density of 1 lb/cu.ft. for the first 31" of the line. The tuning frequency is much, much lower than your suggested 70 Hz.

GM said:
Greets!

It's Qts is a bit low, so for a 'classic' end loaded TL it needs to be tuned to around 70 Hz (max flat impedance alignment) for best results, so figure response down to around 35-40 Hz in a corner. To get gain all the way to Fs will require a huge cab.

GM

What's not a TL?

What I described is just as much a TL as what you described. It happens to be tapered to provide a much better (smoother) response than a "classical" non-tapered TL with a lower F3 to boot. You're nit-picking and mincing words (remember Bill Clinton asking what "is" meant when he was on "trial") and only adding to confusion about what is or is not a TL when you make statements like this. A TL, whatever its configuration or specific name, utilizes the 1/4-wavelength resonant frequency of the line to augment bass response.

GM said:
It's also not a TL, which is what the OP asked for, but a high compression ratio TQWT.

That said, had he just asked for suggestions, a 10:1 CR TQWT is my default for such drivers.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.