RS180 Modula MT vs Zaph Seas Metal 2 way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks to all who were a big help in the last post. I think if I sell some stuff I will get the SAF I need to do this project. After much research and help so far from this forum I think I've narrowed it down to two proven DIY designs to pick from as a first project. Idealy I would like to find somebody whose actually heard both, or at least one to give opinions on, but I'll take what ever you guys care to share. And of course feel free to add to my confusion by suggestioning other designs. I'm also tempted to go with a little smaller driver on either design because I have a sub. Although that may be unwise and not sound well with the cross over designs. In the zaph design though, he has another almost identicle one that does use a smaller driver so I feel like I could go with that one as well. So maybe its narrowed down to three. Anyways enough rambling. Any input would be much appreciated guys. For those who remember my last post, I've definately decided to go this route because my wife works a lot of nights and I need something to do right? Just going out and buying a better cd player is no fun. Thanks!

RS180 Modula MT
http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=13154

Zaph SeasL18/Seas 27BFCG
http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker17.html

Sadly I cannot offer you any advice to help with your decision here.
However I recently picked up the drivers for Zaph's Seas all metal 2 way spurred on by:

1) I wanted to try something with modern materials after using only paper cones for years.
2) Those drivers were readily available here in Helsinki
3) My budget can just about stand it.
4) Zaph's reputation and the no nonsense nature of his web site.

Not necessarily in any order.

Now for my own twist I would like to put this together with an active crossover. This thought being inspired by my friends Genelec monitors that each contain an active crossover and two LM3886 chip amps.

Perhaps we could exchange notes here if you go with Zaph's design. My project will take some weeks to unfold though.

Good luck.

I have the ModulaMT but never heard Zaphoid's design. However, I have heard the L18 and compared it with the RS180, and I have also heard the Seas tweeter. Both the RS180 and the L18 produces very clean and strong bass for their size, but the L18 is slightly ahead here. However, the RS180 has a more detailed midrange, and others have said the same. Neither of these designs have a world-class upper midrange however. I have tried the Peerless Exclusive 7" with the RS28A tweeter and it has a much more detailed/cleaner midrange than either of these drivers. You sacrifice a bit of bass cleaniness but I think it's worth it. Jon said he'll soon come up with the Peerless Exclusive version of the ModulaMT, so that's another option to consider.

You think I could improve the upper midrange if i went with a 6" driver over the 7"? Bass isn't a big issue since they'll be playing with a 12" sub. I do like strong midbass though. When you say the bass isn't as clean for the pearless, is it a ported design? Could I clean it up a bit with going sealed? What did you do about the cross over for the pearless/dayton?

heater, If i go with the zaph, we'll be in touch.

Thanks guys.

Bruce

Now with the Peerless, madisound suggest a .25 cubic inch box where the modula MT design uses a .75 cubic inch box. Now I know it shares it with a tweeter and loses some displacement to the dirvers and cross overs but it seems like it might do better in a smaller box... The driver is also twice the cost of the dayton, although if it sounds a fair amount better I'm all up for it.

Bruce

Both of these speakers are awfully close in price range.

I think I've figured about $280 for the Modula's and $252 for the Seas speakers from Zalph audio.

The above prices include the drivers and the costs of the crossover components. Cabinets or cabinet supplies and shipping for the parts were not included.

I'd love to hear both side-by-side, though. In regards to Jon's MT Modulas, the crossovers do run a bit more because each crossover has 3 inductors on it. However, the price I listed above are for the "perfect lay" inductors and for the Zalph/Seas speakers, I priced it with 16 ga. inductors. Maybe, not a true "apples" to "apples" comparison, though, in regards to price. If I were going to go with the Zalph/Seas speakers, I'd revise the pricing for the crossover components and use inductors of the "perfect lay" variety, which would add a bit more to the price and put it directly in line with the Modula.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.