Kef reference 104/2 circuit diagram - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th March 2006, 01:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Kef reference 104/2 circuit diagram

Please can anyone help me get hold of a circuit diagram for mt kef Reference 104/2 with cap and inductor sizes.
Thanks in advance.
Michael
Old 18th March 2006, 12:36 PM   #2
clem_o is offline clem_o  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Hi Michael,

You can check out Martin Collom's book "High Performance Loudspeakers". I'm not sure which edition is current, but the 5th edition has the circuit on page 267. It's in the chapter on "systems and crossovers", given special mention on "full impedance compensation".

I never did check the schematic for accuracy against my pair.

Hope this somehow helps...

Cheers
Old 18th March 2006, 02:08 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by clem_o
Hi Michael,

You can check out Martin Collom's book "High Performance Loudspeakers". I'm not sure which edition is current, but the 5th edition has the circuit on page 267. It's in the chapter on "systems and crossovers", given special mention on "full impedance compensation".

I never did check the schematic for accuracy against my pair.

Hope this somehow helps...

Cheers
I just happened to have got that book out of the library last week to help with my dissertation . . .

attached is the figure from page 267- took me a while to find a power cable for my scanner, but hey, im trying to put off working as long as possible
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kef104-2.jpg (93.9 KB, 733 views)
Old 18th March 2006, 02:15 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thank you.
That is quite an expensive book, but it looks like a good read.
I will wait to see if anyone has a diagram that they could send me rather than fork out 50 for an unconfirmed source.
Michael
Old 18th March 2006, 03:52 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks Matt, and Clem_O also - and the power of the internet.
Old 21st March 2006, 05:26 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lufbramatt

I just happened to have got that book out of the library last week to help with my dissertation . . .

Sounds like an interesting dissertation!! :-)

dublin78, hope the info is enough for you. Expect some variations in component values as KEF would compensate for production differences etc.

Cheers!

ps: you may find additional info at

http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info

but its mostly focused on the older KEFs. Go to the site's forums, click on "KEF speakers"
Old 21st March 2006, 09:42 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hello again
The scematic that was printed in the Colloms book was nothing like my crossovers. Ignoring the cap and inductor values, there are more components in mine than were on the attached circuit diagram. Thanks for your help though.
I am trying to contact kef service, and the www.hifiloudspeakers.info site looks excellent.
Does any one know how to remove the crossovers from the main chassis. It looks like a nightmare.
Old 21st March 2006, 10:39 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi dublin78,

Now you have me curious... can you take a pic of what you have? In my 104/2, the crossover board is mounted on the bottom panel (where the feet are screwed in). Its easy enough to remove, all wiring's spade-contact so as not to require any desoldering...

Re more parts than the schematic - come to think of it, the crossover I have seems to have a fair number of parts... I am really not sure if it matches or not. As I said, I could take the thing apart and trace it out... should have done that a long time ago anyway.

Cheers!

Clem

ps: my experience with kef - they don't seem to have technical information on the older loudspeakers, though they are happy enough to sell spare drivers etc if they have it...

Old 21st March 2006, 10:25 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Can you tell us why you want the diagram? I have a copy of a review which has the circuit but no values. I'll dig it out an see if it (the layout) matches Collums book.
Old 22nd March 2006, 02:42 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I have just found the review I mentioned in the last post. The various "L" "C" and "R's" are indentical and it also suggests a possible explanation for the greater parts count that the earlier posts mention. The diagram in the review has an additional box called an "S-Stop" circuit. The text doesn't seem to address its function but as it only crosses the mid and hi frequency drivers it is probably a protection circuit of some kind. That would certainly account for the additional components mentioned.

Hide this!Advertise here!