Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2006, 09:54 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default conecting 1 sub and 2 speakers to 1 soundcard output

My sound card had one stereo output. One channel of the output goes to my sub and one speaker and another channel goes to the other speaker. I did not connect the sub to both the left and right, since that would make my speakers mono.

How can I get around this? Only with a new sound card? Is it better to connect the sub to both the channels and have mono sound or is the setup I have now better, IYHO's?
Old 15th March 2006, 10:35 PM   #2
lndm is offline lndm  Australia
diyAudio Member

I would think your soundcard would feel out of balance here with the extra loading on one side. Dynamics may be affected. Are you still within rated impedance?

Probably best to tap the outputs into a high level input to a sub amp, or get a soundcard that has a sub output.
Old 15th March 2006, 11:29 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lndm
I would think your soundcard would feel out of balance here with the extra loading on one side. Dynamics may be affected. Are you still within rated impedance?
I dont know

Quote:
Originally posted by lndm
Probably best to tap the outputs into a high level input to a sub amp
I can do that. Is that for the impedance? Balance didn't change much when I added the amp. Infact I cant tell the difference, so balance is still centered. Everything sounds like it did before except now I have a sub on one channel. And I'm wondering if it's missing a lot of sonical information by being only on one channel.
Old 15th March 2006, 11:34 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Putting two 8 ohm speakers in parallel gives 4 ohms (generally speaking). AFAIK, soundcards prefer or need at least 8 ohms. Quite apart from sound quality, you may be stressing your soundcard.
Old 15th March 2006, 11:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The sound card connects to amps, dont know what the nominal impedance is.
Old 16th March 2006, 12:09 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Safest to assume 8 ohms.
Old 16th March 2006, 12:43 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I dont get what ur saying. DCR at the inputs of one amp is 270-300 ohms and on the sub amp it's . . . i can't figure it out. The output on the sound card plugs into amps for speakers and sub. They're not 8 ohm nominal impedance, the amp inputs. The signal has to go through the amp before it gets to the speaker coils. Anyway the card is not strained, I'm pretty sure.
Old 16th March 2006, 02:30 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was just saying if you don't know what an amp can drive, you should assume it is 8 ohms which is a single speaker.

As far as your mono question, the bass can be thought of as being mono. Bass is often blended so it is the same in each channel. If this mono bass were a problem, more manufacturers would sell two subs at a time. For close listening, it is difficult to tell which speaker the bass comes from, this is why this is ok.

For what you want, the setup you have is better than full mono. It shouldn't make a difference to the bass content which way you connect it (IMO without seeing your system).

BTW do not connect each channel together directly or you may destroy them.

Hide this!Advertise here!