conecting 1 sub and 2 speakers to 1 soundcard output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My sound card had one stereo output. One channel of the output goes to my sub and one speaker and another channel goes to the other speaker. I did not connect the sub to both the left and right, since that would make my speakers mono.

How can I get around this? Only with a new sound card? Is it better to connect the sub to both the channels and have mono sound or is the setup I have now better, IYHO's?

I would think your soundcard would feel out of balance here with the extra loading on one side. Dynamics may be affected. Are you still within rated impedance?

Probably best to tap the outputs into a high level input to a sub amp, or get a soundcard that has a sub output.

lndm said:
I would think your soundcard would feel out of balance here with the extra loading on one side. Dynamics may be affected. Are you still within rated impedance?

I dont know :xeye:

lndm said:
Probably best to tap the outputs into a high level input to a sub amp

I can do that. Is that for the impedance? Balance didn't change much when I added the amp. Infact I cant tell the difference, so balance is still centered. Everything sounds like it did before except now I have a sub on one channel. And I'm wondering if it's missing a lot of sonical information by being only on one channel.

I dont get what ur saying. DCR at the inputs of one amp is 270-300 ohms and on the sub amp it's . . . i can't figure it out. The output on the sound card plugs into amps for speakers and sub. They're not 8 ohm nominal impedance, the amp inputs. The signal has to go through the amp before it gets to the speaker coils. Anyway the card is not strained, I'm pretty sure.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was just saying if you don't know what an amp can drive, you should assume it is 8 ohms which is a single speaker.

As far as your mono question, the bass can be thought of as being mono. Bass is often blended so it is the same in each channel. If this mono bass were a problem, more manufacturers would sell two subs at a time. For close listening, it is difficult to tell which speaker the bass comes from, this is why this is ok.

For what you want, the setup you have is better than full mono. It shouldn't make a difference to the bass content which way you connect it (IMO without seeing your system).

BTW do not connect each channel together directly or you may destroy them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.