Dayton RS28A vc Usher 9950C - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2006, 08:56 PM   #1
Mr Teal is offline Mr Teal  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Dayton RS28A vc Usher 9950C

Has anyone done an AB comparison of these two drivers? I know the Dayton is based on the Usher tweet and is built by Usher, so I'm hoping that they're fairly similar.

If the Dayton could be dropped into most of the Extremis designs out there that use a 9950C without alot of crossover work, the $20 you save would add up quickly in a HT setup.
Old 17th March 2006, 12:20 AM   #2
DDF is offline DDF  Canada
diyAudio Member

Haven'ty tried the Daytons, but my 9950s didn't measure as well as I'd hoped.

Email me and I can send you the responses.

dalfarra

sympatico.ca
Old 14th January 2007, 12:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The Usher OEM for Dayton are not the same....the Dayton are worse....not bad....but just middlerange. The Usher T9950 ist very good and I donīt understand why do you had problems with measurements?

Many DIY speaker experts tested the T9950 and rated it high. I was a Seas NoFerro 800 (and NoFerro 550) believer and decided to take the Usher T9950 into my "most feavorite tweeter under 80 Euro list".

You should not "confuse" personal taste (I like soft highs...I like analytic cold sound....or neutral or warmish sounds..blabla) with the fact that the T9950 are very good tweeter and Highle recommended.

In Europe some experienced DIY builder...take the Number One/ Monacor Tweeter DT-25N in projects....its cheap but for 20 €uro its hell of a tweeter. Donīt jugde by the price.....or personal taste.

In Europe the User T9950 chassis costs approx 90 Dollars and in the USA 49 Dollars......for 49 Dollars its a bargain. And if you donīt like the sound? Then Seas NoFerro 800 is the next higly recommende...or the Scan Speak 9500.

Daytons are good buys for the price but they differ from the Usher chassis. Its the same with the Peerless OEM Chassis....they look like original HDS speaker but they have different TSP and slighter worse specs.

best regards

DVBjunky
Old 16th January 2007, 02:05 AM   #4
DDF is offline DDF  Canada
diyAudio Member

I was expecting a smoother response, but in the end I was able to extract some excellent sound from it with a reasonably simple crossover. I'm very happy with it, mated to an 8545. No fatigue or glare, but still good detail and cleanliness.
Old 22nd January 2007, 10:52 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yeah,

thats just right...the usher are high-end but they sound neutral...I am envy that usher chassis are so cheap in the US :-)

At the moment I am planning a small 2 way with Usher chassis cause I have to move to a smaller appartment.

So, the 9950 will be paired with 8945A...maybe a closed enclosure for dynamik (but no so deep bass).

I have to wait until my friend has time to visit me with his measurement equipment and 20 bottles beer.........DIY for life :-)

Hide this!Advertise here!