1950's Parmeko Co-axial 15" BBC speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pristine pair of LS-1, with the Lorenz tweeter, mounted on the front baffle board. I saved them from being thrown out, sadly I had no room for the cabinets so they don't exist any more.
Having been stored in my garage for 20 years, I recently took them out anp played some music and what a revalation, 65 years old and they sound great. They would sound so much better if only I had kept the cabinets; however you can construct cabinets but not the drivers.

Tried to post the following earlier, but it seems to have gotten lost in cyberspace... So if this shows up twice, I apologize in advance.

The Leak Coax in question sure looks like an early Altec 605A. I have several and the magnet size, frame, magnet plate thickness, the height of the 806 compression driver, the sectorial horn and the general look of the thing says 605A. Leak may have modified it, don't know of coarse. What would really be interesting to me is what crossover Leak settled on. If you use a phase correct crossover along the lines of Jeff Marquart the 605A is very nice. No edge, or shout. Smooth top to bottom with better bass extension than one can get from any of the 604's. But you do give up some efficiency and dynamics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.