Dipole/bipole suround speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2006, 04:26 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Dipole/bipole suround speakers

Hi Guys just looking for a bit of direction for making a Bipole/dipole set of spearkers for my HT set up.
Example like the Polk LSiFX speakers.
I have searched the forums but most of waht i have seen is large designs that i believe people are using for fronts?????
I want somthing along the Polk design to hang from my ceiling above and behind my sopha....
Is it possible to make these switchable between bipole an dipole? New to DIY and just need some direction.

Thanks
Old 13th March 2006, 05:30 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

A bipole speaker uses two or more drivers on multiple baffles facing in different directions, ala the Polks you mention, and are usually in enclosed cabinets; a dipole speaker mounts drivers on a single, open baffle, with no enclosure, so the driver(s) radiate both forward and backward (Linkwitz Orion).

Dipole speakers are usually not practical as surrounds because they need to be placed some distance from walls to achieve a delay between the front and rear waves reaching the listener, but it can probably be done.

I don't see how you could have a single speaker that can be "switched" between bipole and dipole, and I see no reason to attempt this. It's probably possible to build an "open baffle bipole" but I have no idea if it would be practical.

For surround speakers you should stick with small monopoles (bookshelf) or bipoles, and there are lots of kits and designs out there - take a look at PartsExpress and Zaph Audio, for example. Another design that might interest you can be found here:

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/surround_speaker.htm

What you decide to go with ultimately depends on things like budget, room size, the rest of your system, listening preferences, etc.

Hope this has been some help.
Old 13th March 2006, 05:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

the fun thing is that those polks i used as an example acctually do switch between Bipole and dipole ! However do they do it tho?(im not being a smart **** either)
Just a question of firing the drivers in phase or out of phase?

Also the infinity Beta es250 switches also seemingly 3 diffrent modes with mono. (no idea why)
I realize they have to be a bit away from the wall for reflection but what im using now is a foot or so away from the back wall and 6inchs of the ceiling.
I already have a set of Jbl's there now but want to upgrade/diy somthing diffrent then direct radiators like i have.

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetail...e=08-6828628-2
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282

examples
Sam
Old 13th March 2006, 05:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Maybe the DIY world has a difrent name for this style of speaker ?
Old 13th March 2006, 06:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I still don't see what the dipole aspect of these speakers is. Are they open baffle? Are they opened in the back?

However these things work we're talking about internal electronics here, so unless someone knows what's inside these things I'm clueless. You would have to be able to clone whatever circuitry is inside these speakers to get your DIYers to do the same thing.

What is it exactly that you want to achieve here? Have you listened to the Polks/Infinitys in action? And at over $900 for the Polks you should be able to come up with something satisfying on your own for a fraction of the price.

I'm guessing these are going to be primarily for home theater and you want to hear some great effects - for musical listening a multifunction surround speaker is "overbuilding" IMHO.
Old 13th March 2006, 06:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

You got it mostly HT is the plan although i do like to use my 7 channel stereo on my Denon reciever!
I saw an another Dipole/bipole once before by the Canadian firm FLuence i believe, they from what i recall used a Buterworth type crossover? that sound rite?
I have a freind who has a set of Paradigm speakers like this also that he got on special for around 700 bucks and really likes.....

But in the DIY world we can do it better cheaper and with our own hands! cant we????
Old 13th March 2006, 06:54 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

well now i figured after reading a post on building pvc catipliers that was 50 pages long i would have gotten a little bit more insite then this.......course i guess TL's are more exciting or somthing.....
Old 13th March 2006, 06:58 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

Swoop, that thread ran for about 6 months, give it time!

From what I understand, the AV speakers advertising switchable di/bipole operation, merely invert the polarity of one driver.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 13th March 2006, 07:02 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Your rite Pink sorry......

Is that possible with DIY crossover to do, reverse the polarity that is because thats the only dif between Dipole and bipole is in phase outa of phase from what i understand about them?

Course driving two midranges and 2 tweeters would probly be a fairly complex Xover anyway ? with that in mind how do you keep em at 8 Ohms also?
also to port or seal the seprate cahmbers? wish i had one to take apart and look at. lol but for that kinda coin no one would probly let me.

Sam
Old 13th March 2006, 09:11 PM   #10
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by bostonswoop
Is that possible with DIY crossover to do, reverse the polarity that is because thats the only dif between Dipole and bipole is in phase outa of phase from what i understand about them?
The dipoles have the drivers mounted on the same baffle often with one facing the other direction. They are wired out of phase.

A bipole has the drivers mounted on different baffles, usually one facing forward and one back. There is separation between the drivers. They are wired in phase

Hide this!Advertise here!