Most creative speaker enclosure? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2006, 09:08 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Most creative speaker enclosure?

Ok. So what is the most creative speaker enclosure that you have built, bought or seen? I am thinking of things like coffee cans, sewer pipes, etc. The idea is to do some brainstorming for cheap easy enclosures for non critical speakers.

mike
Old 13th March 2006, 12:11 AM   #2
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Default "Power Pots" & "'Bucket of Bass"

Just a quick reply,
The most unusual cabinets I've seen are probably Aaron Gilbert's "Power Pots" using two large flower pots per speaker.
He used some pine rounds from Home Depot and a large plastic flower pot with a smaller pot glued to the back of the first one. Sounded quite good and he started with only stuff he has on hand, didn't buy a thing. The Mk II version included some changes as well as some minor purchases.

Aaron's "Bucket of Bass" subwoofer used a built-in bucket that came with his car and fits on top of his spare tire, yet is still under the deck of the trunk. He used some buyout woofer that he paid $12.00 for and it really is quite good, although not as stunning as the Shiva that was installed in his old Saab.

I suppose that a couple of mine are kinda unusual, but I think Aaron's are perhaps more unique. If I get some time this evening, I'll see if I can find a picture of his "Power Pots", I think they were at Al Wooly's RAW Fest last year or the year before.

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 13th March 2006, 12:44 AM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

These are still one of my favorites.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 13th March 2006, 01:43 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
I made a 'Quick N Dirty' subwoofer from those big cardboard "bulk food" bins/barrels.

The first one was probably about 3 feet diameter,and 2 feet tall.I stuffed a couple cheap 12"s in it,Isobarik.
It was enough to get the neighbors over here a couple times.
Later I replaced the 12"s with a single 15" woofer I had.

I've also made one for a 12" driver for a friend from a bulk-food bin.
This one was taller,probably about 3.5 feet tall,and 15" across.

Used a Big blue plastic bucket once too (it probably held 25gallons?)
And a super cheap thrift-store 15". Not bad for like $3 it cost to build!

I used cardboard boxes once with a set of 5.25 inch speakers.
Suprisingly,they actually had decent bass response.

Once a friend and I got bored,we ripped the piezo tweeter from an old car speaker,and mounted it in the end of a cardboard tube.
A directional supertweeter! It was so insanely loud that it was painful if it was pointed towards you.
Old 13th March 2006, 01:49 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I like the Klipsch corner horns.
I once built a pair.

I've done others I think are better. But I can't call them more creative.
Old 13th March 2006, 04:00 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I also built a pair of K-horns from scratch using Speakerlab plans back in '75-76. Loved them, but what a lot of work!

I'm still looking for the "Power Pot" photos, but I thought that these might be interesting. I designed the enclosure............ well actually, I just designed these around some plastic strapping tape cardboard spools from work. Total cost including shipping for PE drivers and terminals and MDF came out approximately $4.00 a pair. They don't sound too bad either.
Anyway here's a URL:

http://theloniousbonk.smugmug.com/gallery/505390/1

Enjoy,
TerryO
Old 13th March 2006, 05:01 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BassAwdyO
I have a half-barrel sitting out in my garage with a 12" cutout in it.... problem is, I havent owned a 12" driver to put in it in years...
Old 13th March 2006, 05:01 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks!

Terry, thanks for the kudos! I guess you didn't try checking my web page, eh? Plenty of Power Pot goodness on there. Look at the bottom two rows of pictures, those are the most current, as is the parts list. Go here:

http://www.aaroncgilbert.com/powerpots.html

As for my buckets of bass.... actually it doesn't have a name yet but I don't really like that one, clever though it is. Will get back to you on that. Here are the pictures and description:

http://www.aeriostyle.com/pics/thumbnails.php?album=95

Enjoy! Also I tend to think my Emerald Towers are pretty creative, just a lot more expensive than either of these two. They're on my web site as well. Oh and Terry, my bucket subwoofer cost $18, not $12.

Aaron Gilbert
Old 13th March 2006, 05:45 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by aaroncgi
Terry, thanks for the kudos! I guess you didn't try checking my web page, eh? Plenty of Power Pot goodness on there. Look at the bottom two rows of pictures, those are the most current, as is the parts list. Go here:

http://www.aaroncgilbert.com/powerpots.html

As for my buckets of bass.... actually it doesn't have a name yet but I don't really like that one, clever though it is.

Enjoy! Also I tend to think my Emerald Towers are pretty creative, just a lot more expensive than either of these two. They're on my web site as well. Oh and Terry, my bucket subwoofer cost $18, not $12.

Aaron Gilbert
Aaron,
I didn't think to look at your web site, seems pretty obvious now:^)

I'm sorry that I named your sub, however it's too late now, as it's been published in Cyber-print and as we all know, if it's in print then it has to be true. Just ask anyone who reads Stereovile magazine!

Aaron, I tried to save you $6.00 on that Subwoofer!
And yes, the Emerald Towers are pretty unusual, and attractive in a Nautical way:^)

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 13th March 2006, 06:34 AM   #10
APi is offline APi  Finland
diyAudio Member

I spent one night of building an expanded polystyrene ball that hang up a speaker cable from the roof. The ball was guite big 25cm diameter like ones in "styroxpallo" -link:

http://www.charlotta.fi/index.php?si...a=Styrox/muovi

I made linear motor inside the ball. It consist of 20 small 20x10x5mm ferrite magnets, two 15x15cm metal plates, and a cardboard bar that has winding wire attached to it with cheap masking tape. "Heavy" magnets and metal thing were connected to speaker cable whereas the "light" ball and cardboard a kind of floated. So the ball and megnets move opposite directions.

The ball was supposed to act as a dipole speaker. In a way it did but there was way too long settling time for the sound in polystyrene so the radiation pattern in trebles were more or less omnidirectional and the sound was like extra echo was added.

Close the ball the sound was almost hifi but from further off it sounded like comming from a tunnel.

Anyway... This experiment was fun

Hide this!Advertise here!