where's the curves?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Alrite i have found some really amazing not square speakers on this forum but not many and im just wondering why?
Lots of plans for box's but i want round ... am i missing somthing i am new to this maybe all i need is some proper direction.
(dont get me wrong also there are some amazing box designs)
Towers satelites horn loaded anything.....
:confused:

Square boxes are easier to build, and if they're damped properly, internal reflections are a non issue anyhow. I intend to build some rounded enclosures after I finish college since I've developed several connections with composite suppliers while working on a human powered submarine for my college's Mechanical Engineering department.....

Square:
Cheap, easy, fast, can sound good.

Round:
More expensive materials, way more effort, should sound basically the same.

There is much support for non box shaped enclosures. I have to say I was surprised (or maybe disappointed looking back on my early efforts) to read a series in Speaker Builder by Jim Moryasu. He went to a fair deal of trouble to give objective data on box shapes. I believe he concluded that the standard golden ratio rectangular enclosure was possibly the best option.

Hello,

squarish boxes are much easier to build.
It's difficult enough to do square if you don't own a shop.
Also, fabrication skill is lower for square. Don't need to put as much effort in the box allowing more energy to be put into the speakers.

Another reason is that curves in a cabinet tend to focus sound reflextions making reflection control difficult.

Right. Good question. Welcome to the forum. Lots of non-square offerings, if you just putter around a little.

Why, mercy me! There's a link to my website on this post! I wonder what's there...

And then my very next project was a rectangle. Yeah, it was way easier to implement, and the acoustic design yielded premium results.

In my estimation, non-square, as many have pointed out, is much more difficult to implement, and I reserve it for, you know, pulling out all the stops.

Have you checked out the Fullrange forum? Esoteric designs tend to wander in over there every now and again.

Dave

Someone on this forum has a site entitled "Curved Loudspeaker Construction" with several fine examples of his work. I can't remember who it is though - does this ring a bell to anyone?

BTW - aaronh - beautiful work! This is where it is no longer just a loudspeaker cabinet but a work of art.

Aaron those are amazing.
Thats what im talkin about i want to build a set of speakers that sound great, dont cost a ton of money and realy look like there custom works of art. I really enjoy audio, but box speakers dont stir the soul so to speak.
So those are a wood frame with fiberglass?
Where did you come up with the design? And how do they sound?

I also figure if im going to build a pair that i want to take my time because i wont be able to build set after set of speakers the wife and the budget wont alow it. :headbash:

Oh and where can i find more info on horn loaded speakers I am reading Speaker building 201 and i like the idea of the gabriel in that with a fostex tweeter on top and fostex ff165k with a horn box.

Has anyone seen that style in a curvey box? Im guesing the math involved to design a curved box that was a horn would be madening. You can get the kit from madisound bk 16 or somthing but obviously i dont/cant spend 700 bucks. Also the box is square and i really wana branch out and make somthing more out of the ordinary. I do love the look of the top mount tweeter tho. B&W style...

Hey thanks! The frames are mdf covered with three layers of 1/4" tempered Masonite, making the sides 3/4" thick.The front and rear baffles are two layers of 3/4"MDF making them 1.5"thick.
I didn't use any fiberglass,just four coats of Nason 2K urethane for the finish. As for being cheap to build they are not,it takes two 4x8' sheets of 3/4 MDF and three 4x8' sheets of 1/4" masonite along with an entire gallon of wood glue to build them,and when they are finished all that is left is a pile of sawdust and a handfull of scraps.the cost of the cabinets alone is around $250.The drivers and crossover components cost another $500.I am really happy with the sound though,I dont think I could buy a better sounding pair for less than $2000,I am working on another pair right now that are going to be bi amped. I love building these things. Thanks again! Aaron

Masonite is pretty much the same as mdf,a little more flexible,but once you get three layers glued together on a curve they are way more rigid than MDF of the same thickness! as for plans,I did make plans for the first pair I built,but now I just create as I go,Years ago I built a couple of ski boats and thats kinda how I got the idea for these speakers. I do have a couple different size templates I made for the bulkheads,The hardest part about planing these things is calculating the internal volume with all the curves and angles it can get frustrating,they range from 1.5 cu.ft up to 3.5 depending on the alignment,most of them are ported but I have built of sealed cabs.
Aaron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.