Improving bass extension: Mission Argonaut Mk 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2006, 07:26 PM   #1
matski is offline matski  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to matski Send a message via AIM to matski Send a message via MSN to matski Send a message via Yahoo to matski
Default Improving bass extension: Mission Argonaut Mk 2

Hi all,

I love my Argonauts. This is my second pair. As time goes by though, I can't help feeling that they are underachieving. With a specified frequency response (from Mission technical department) of 20hz-20khz +-3db they certainly should produce the goods, but time and again they sound tight but not extended. Even on large scale orchestration. Any ideas? I'm partnering them with a split system. One day I might use a Technics SU-V90D with an SL-P990 (running biwired), or my old Technics SU-V5 and a Philips CD104 (again biwired).Speaker cable is Cable Talk Flat 2 and interconnects are Cable Talk Monitor 2

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Mat
Old 10th March 2006, 02:09 AM   #2
lndm is offline lndm  Australia
diyAudio Member

Try room location. Where you have your speakers located may be causing a null (or several) that reduce a critical harmonic and give the impression of reduced bass. This may be because of reflections or standing waves. Try moving your seating too.

Also try pushing them back into your corners. This tends to produce a horn effect and can lift the bass.
Old 10th March 2006, 04:02 AM   #3
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

What he said is spot on. This makes a huge difference in a larger listening room.
Old 14th March 2006, 09:45 PM   #4
matski is offline matski  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to matski Send a message via AIM to matski Send a message via MSN to matski Send a message via Yahoo to matski
Thanks for the tips guys. I think that the problem may be that they are too close together, only 6ft apart in my study. They used to be in a much larger room and could breathe far easier. I can't place in corners as they aren't free. Too much clutter! I'll try spacing another couple of feet apart and toe in a bit more and check the results.

Thanks

Mat
Old 14th March 2006, 10:00 PM   #5
lndm is offline lndm  Australia
diyAudio Member

Have you checked the relative phase of these units? Put a 1.5v cell across the speaker terminals observing polarity. Make sure the bass cones of each side move in the same direction.
Old 4th May 2011, 02:13 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I have a pair of Mission 730's a good speaker. I purchased John Wright's Monitors in the 1990's, TDL's, but if you want to boost bass performance get a Yamaha Sub Woofer, you will be happy. I have one it is fantastic. Maybe get a 1500 Watt. I have an 800 Watt unit, it is highly recommended in my opinion. It was cheap, relatively, and delivers bass.

Hide this!Advertise here!