Improving bass extension: Mission Argonaut Mk 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I love my Argonauts. This is my second pair. As time goes by though, I can't help feeling that they are underachieving. With a specified frequency response (from Mission technical department) of 20hz-20khz +-3db they certainly should produce the goods, but time and again they sound tight but not extended. Even on large scale orchestration. Any ideas? I'm partnering them with a split system. One day I might use a Technics SU-V90D with an SL-P990 (running biwired), or my old Technics SU-V5 and a Philips CD104 (again biwired).Speaker cable is Cable Talk Flat 2 and interconnects are Cable Talk Monitor 2

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Mat

Try room location. Where you have your speakers located may be causing a null (or several) that reduce a critical harmonic and give the impression of reduced bass. This may be because of reflections or standing waves. Try moving your seating too.

Also try pushing them back into your corners. This tends to produce a horn effect and can lift the bass.

Thanks for the tips guys. I think that the problem may be that they are too close together, only 6ft apart in my study. They used to be in a much larger room and could breathe far easier. I can't place in corners as they aren't free. Too much clutter! I'll try spacing another couple of feet apart and toe in a bit more and check the results.

Thanks

Mat

I have a pair of Mission 730's a good speaker. I purchased John Wright's Monitors in the 1990's, TDL's, but if you want to boost bass performance get a Yamaha Sub Woofer, you will be happy. I have one it is fantastic. Maybe get a 1500 Watt. I have an 800 Watt unit, it is highly recommended in my opinion. It was cheap, relatively, and delivers bass.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.