Friend for L18

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone

This is my first message in this forum. I´m troubled by the differences in the measurements in speaker sensitivity. Particularly in the bass region, because it seems that different vendors for speaker elements measure them in different conditions.
Some like to measure them in 2 pii like the element in wall, some make a test box and measure them from it.

Lastly comes my element Seas L18RNX/P witch measurement have been done in standard baffle IEC 268-5 and i have no idea what that means or how it compares to the others.
Seas L18RNX/P seems to be around 87 db/2.83 V in 1 KHz, but in the 100 Hz i have no idea what it would be in real life measeured in a box radiating into full space.

Then lets take a different speaker for example Peerless SLS 263 this speaker in the measurement sheet is radiating 2 pii conditions am i right? So when the peerless is radiating in a box into 4 pii in the bass range i would have to reduce 6 db from the measurement values in the sheet?
Meaning it would be 89 db -6 db = 83 db sensitive in 100 Hz?
I´m asking this to know what bass speaker would be suitable by sensitivity to the Seas L18RNX/P in a 3-way configuration?
Ofcourse you can make your suggestion for a good bass speaker for L18 and if u have a 3-way project using L18 for midrange even better.

Thank for your time and sorry for my bad english!

Hi,

You are correct in that sensitivity is given into 2pi space.

And that this means 6dB less when discussing bass frequencies.

The correct bass unit is complicated by your implementation
of baffle step compensation in your 3 way speaker.

If its effectively a 2 way + sub then you need a ~ 87dB bass unit.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker17.html

If baffle step is provided by the bass units you basically
will need two 87dB units in parallel or one 93dB unit.

see hear for the technique :
http://www.users.nac.net/markowitzgd/david/david.htm

And to complicate matters further you could use partial
BSC on the midrange with partial BSC from the bass unit.

Who said 3-ways aren't more complicated than 2-ways ?

What stays constant is the bass unit sensitivity will always
be 5 to 6dB more than the designs target midrange sensitivity.

For a 2-way with BSC this means target midrange sensitivity
is 5 to 6 dB below the bass/mid units quoted sensitivity.

:)/sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.