HELP !! Fungus or Rust on woofer surround - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2006, 04:22 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default HELP !! Fungus or Rust on woofer surround

Hi,

My woofer's surround has some defects. It's somewhat like a white crust inside has developed. Not sure if it is a FUNGUS or RUST due to humid weather . The rubber surround is still perfect .. i mean no cuts or punctures., it's just that it is now peeling off since the crust seems to be growing. Have already ordered for a woofer replacement from the agent. It there any treatment to be applied on the woofer to prevent this to happen in the future ?

I will also be sending the woofers for repair/re-glue. I would appreciate if you guys have experience on re-glued cones. Does the performance or sound quality degrades. I still plan to use it as a back-up since the magnet and the coil are still in perfect condition.

Appreciate any informations that you can share.

Here are some of the pictures..... by the way , the speaker is Sonus Faber Signum.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 8th March 2006, 07:33 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I've never seen that sort of growth UNDER the surround.
Since they're rubber, they shouldn't be rotting, so my my guess is it's some sort of reaction to the metal and or glue. Are they kept in a humid environment?
Have you spoken to SF about this? May be a warranty issue.
Also, usually after a decent reconing, performance is as good as the original.
Old 8th March 2006, 08:29 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply ..

My country is really humid. I've seen some fungus growing on the cone surface of my other speakers. Just a regular cleaning will do the job , but this is really extreme !!. The speaker is around 5 years old so i can't claim for the warranty. I've sent an email with pictures to the manufacturer but no response from them.

SInce i've already ordered a replacement woofer, i'd better replace them and keep the the other pair as a spare.

This morning, i removed the woofer from the cabinet and was SHOCK to see what is inside This is really serious !!! Is there any treat for this defect to prevent it from re-surfacing on my next NEW driver ?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 8th March 2006, 09:07 PM   #4
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

When you wipe it off does the finish underneath look good still or is it somewhat pitted?

The reason I'm asking is that from the pictures, it is hard to tell mildew from oxidization. If it is oxidization there should be some signs of pitting. If not it's likely mildew.

If it is mildew, them I recommend wiping it with a mild chlorine solution first and then try wiping the basket with penetrating lubricant and see if that slows it down or stops it.
Old 8th March 2006, 09:18 PM   #5
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Why is it only attacking the paint on the basket? I think this is an important clue. Whatever it is is not attacking the cone, or the magnet, or the pole pieces, or the surround. Looking more closely, the worst corrosion is where the airflow is the least (inside the ribs of the basket). That suggests that it's the paint releasing something horrible.
Old 8th March 2006, 09:36 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Do you live near the sea? Looks like salt oxidation.
Best investment - an airconditioner.
Old 8th March 2006, 11:04 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cal Weldon
When you wipe it off does the finish underneath look good still or is it somewhat pitted?

The reason I'm asking is that from the pictures, it is hard to tell mildew from oxidization. If it is oxidization there should be some signs of pitting. If not it's likely mildew.

If it is mildew, them I recommend wiping it with a mild chlorine solution first and then try wiping the basket with penetrating lubricant and see if that slows it down or stops it.
I think it is like a MOLD ... I did not yet wipe it off. Plan to remove the driver and clean it outside the house as i have kids. Will let you know the findings.

Thanks for the recommendation for the treatment
Old 8th March 2006, 11:08 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by David Gatti
Do you live near the sea? Looks like salt oxidation.
Best investment - an airconditioner.
NO ... i don't live near the sea . My system is in a dedicated airconditioned room. However, i only switch the aircon when i am listening to music . Now i placed some de-humidifiers at the back of my system ... hope this will stop/slow down the growth of the fungus/molds.
Old 8th March 2006, 11:31 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Are both bass-mids & the tweeters the same?
Another possibility is that some wiring is, or was, touching the frame causing rapid electronic oxidisation. Have you checked?
Old 9th March 2006, 05:31 PM   #10
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Yikes
Looks like the cast aluminium has become the anode from the steel/magnet motor part.
Not sure how to prevent that, other than get something designed for marine applications.
Probably best not to try to clean them unless you know what youre doing.

Hide this!Advertise here!