HELP !! Fungus or Rust on woofer surround

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

My woofer's surround has some defects. It's somewhat like a white crust inside has developed. Not sure if it is a FUNGUS or RUST due to humid weather . The rubber surround is still perfect .. i mean no cuts or punctures., it's just that it is now peeling off since the crust seems to be growing. Have already ordered for a woofer replacement from the agent. It there any treatment to be applied on the woofer to prevent this to happen in the future ?

I will also be sending the woofers for repair/re-glue. I would appreciate if you guys have experience on re-glued cones. Does the performance or sound quality degrades. I still plan to use it as a back-up since the magnet and the coil are still in perfect condition.

Appreciate any informations that you can share.

Here are some of the pictures..... by the way , the speaker is Sonus Faber Signum.

Signumfront_2.jpg

SignumDriver1.jpg
SignumDriver2.jpg

I've never seen that sort of growth UNDER the surround.
Since they're rubber, they shouldn't be rotting, so my my guess is it's some sort of reaction to the metal and or glue. Are they kept in a humid environment?
Have you spoken to SF about this? May be a warranty issue.
Also, usually after a decent reconing, performance is as good as the original.

Thanks for the reply ..

My country is really humid. I've seen some fungus growing on the cone surface of my other speakers. Just a regular cleaning will do the job , but this is really extreme !!. The speaker is around 5 years old so i can't claim for the warranty. I've sent an email with pictures to the manufacturer but no response from them.

SInce i've already ordered a replacement woofer, i'd better replace them and keep the the other pair as a spare.

This morning, i removed the woofer from the cabinet and was SHOCK to see what is inside :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: This is really serious !!! Is there any treat for this defect to prevent it from re-surfacing on my next NEW driver ?

Signumdriver3.jpg

When you wipe it off does the finish underneath look good still or is it somewhat pitted?

The reason I'm asking is that from the pictures, it is hard to tell mildew from oxidization. If it is oxidization there should be some signs of pitting. If not it's likely mildew.

If it is mildew, them I recommend wiping it with a mild chlorine solution first and then try wiping the basket with penetrating lubricant and see if that slows it down or stops it.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Why is it only attacking the paint on the basket? I think this is an important clue. Whatever it is is not attacking the cone, or the magnet, or the pole pieces, or the surround. Looking more closely, the worst corrosion is where the airflow is the least (inside the ribs of the basket). That suggests that it's the paint releasing something horrible.

Cal Weldon said:
When you wipe it off does the finish underneath look good still or is it somewhat pitted?

The reason I'm asking is that from the pictures, it is hard to tell mildew from oxidization. If it is oxidization there should be some signs of pitting. If not it's likely mildew.

If it is mildew, them I recommend wiping it with a mild chlorine solution first and then try wiping the basket with penetrating lubricant and see if that slows it down or stops it.

I think it is like a MOLD ... I did not yet wipe it off. Plan to remove the driver and clean it outside the house as i have kids. Will let you know the findings.

Thanks for the recommendation for the treatment

David Gatti said:
Do you live near the sea? Looks like salt oxidation.
Best investment - an airconditioner.

NO ... i don't live near the sea . My system is in a dedicated airconditioned room. However, i only switch the aircon when i am listening to music . Now i placed some de-humidifiers at the back of my system ... hope this will stop/slow down the growth of the fungus/molds.

Greets!

You probably don't need to replace any components. I've had good luck with misting on hydrogen peroxide, then white vinegar. It should disappear within an hour. Once you're satisfied it's gone, wipe it down as best you can and mist some more vinegar on it to protect it somewhat, though I don't know for how long in your country. It lasts from several years to decades depending on the material/situation down here in the Deep South (USA). I have areas in my home I treated almost 30 yrs ago that are still mold/mildew free, but some leather goods stuck in closets need spraying every few years if not used regularly.

If it's an electrolytic action, then clean with vinegar and baking soda, rinse, dry, then cover with silicone caulk or similar to keep moisture out. None of this should adversely affect the speaker/components, just allow them to dry thoroughly before applying power.

GM

Im not so sure about this oxidization theory..
i found an old pair of swamped kicker separates at my town dump and there was indeed a similar looking oxidization on the basket. However, oxidized deposits usually appear in a jagged crystaline form. From what it looks like in the picture, the "oxidization" looks like bubbly nodules. A common characteristic of mold/mildew. Have you tried rubbing the substance between your fingers?
If it is a fine, jagged feeling, you most likely have oxidization.
if it is a soft, moist kushy feeling, you have mold.

Signum_oxidation_001.jpg

Signum_oxidation_002.jpg
The white Fungus on the driver unit of Sonus Faber Signum should be the white aluminium oxide.
The most proper explanation is that the voice coil comes in contact with the inner metal part of the frame that causing current flows.
Since this is not an isolated singular case found, the manufacturer should be liable for this!

The might be more Signum owners out there having the same problems.

Last edited:
View attachment 277124

View attachment 277125
The white Fungus found on the driver unit of the Sonus Faber Signum should be the white aluminium oxide.
The most proper explanation is that the voice coil comes in contact with the inner metal part of the frame that creating a closed-circuit causing current flows.
Since this is not an isolated singular case found, the manufacturer should be liable for this!
The might be more Signum ownesr out there having the same problems.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.