I couldn't bear to throw them away...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
so I rounded up all the crappy drivers I had and made this OB:

All the drivers except the 12" unit were scavenged from what neihbours had thrown out, The 6" units & Tweeter are old Magnavox units, had to cut off the dust caps, they'd been poked in, the 10" unit is a Taiwanese,no name, 12" is a hi-Q Jaycar driver ~AUD50. The wood is some old cupboard doors.

Sound - pretty good, doesn't need much low EQ, very good on vocals, but some stridency in the upper mids makes it unlistenable on Heavy Rock. Considering the xover is only 2 caps (jeez I'm cheap...) (one for the tweet, 1 across the parallelled woofers which are in series with the mids, which probably can't handle more than 5-10 watts) that's not too bad.
Just need to refine the xover & pretty them up

Pete McK

Attachments

• bb3.jpg
    bb3.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 890
finally got around to it...

added a 3mH choke across the mid drivers (this is a series xover)... now they sound awesome, really smooth all the way down on double bass, I add just a touch of lows on the tone control to get overkill kick drum on modern music (Black eyed peas etc), and a touch of highs to make up for the inefficient tweeters (they're really old, with tiny magnets)

Even better - WAF is 100%, the missus loves them...
Pete McK

... and in the garage, and in the workshop....:)
(just call me magpie)

Re: Rock, I've haven't tried the System of a Down CD yet, I suspect I may need to zobel the mids to tame the stridency,
but I ususally play the Heavy stuff on my garage system so I don't annoy the neighbours too much - but much to my surprise, the OB bass can do that when wound up too....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.