Open Baffle Suited Woofer Suggestions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2006, 09:44 PM   #1
Tenson is offline Tenson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Kent
Default Open Baffle Suited Woofer Suggestions

Pleeese help!

I have been mulling over a few speaker designs and my friend suggested something very cool. To make it work though I need a large woofer, ideally 10" but 12" will be okay. It needs to work well open baffle up to 1.5KHz and down to about 35Hz.

My knowledge of open baffle stuff is pretty limited.

I realise its hard to go that low open baffle, but I will be using digital EQ so it isn't all that hard. Ideally I need a FS of 39Hz and a Qts of 1.5. But, as I say, I will be using EQ so I can sort out the low end as long as the woofer can take the extra power and is not too far from that ideal.

I was really excited when I found the Fostex W300A2 simply because it seems so high quality. Sadly though it has a very low Qts so rolls off pretty early. It would need a boost of about 10dB at 35Hz. Anyone think if it could cope with that or not? It looks like it should have such good midrange (or maybe I am just looking at the price and going oOooh!).

Thanks peeps!
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2006, 10:17 PM   #2
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: US
the fostex wouldn't make it at any decent spl that low in freq.. (not enough excursion).

Its also a bad idea for a number of reasons (..not the least of which is IMD).

The PHY 12" fits your description however..

If I were you I'd consider one driver for the midbass & midrange:

http://www.supravox.fr/haut_parleurs/285_GMF.htm

This driver has the lower midrange lift that is needed for a practical baffle size.

(note the mms of the driver.. seems a bit more like a midrange driver no?)

And 2+ filler drivers for the low freq.s (activly assisted/eq'ed):

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=295-464

There is also this driver, BUT distortion will be higher and eff. isn't that great:

http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/drivers.htm

(Silver Iris OB 15" Augie)

..or ditch the idea for extending the response with a dipole character and instead look to normal "subwoofer" solutions.

__________________
perspective is everything
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2006, 10:57 PM   #3
Tenson is offline Tenson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Kent
I was planning to use a boxed fill-in driver for the low bass (thinking Peerless XLS), but I still need the open baffle to get down to about 40 or 35Hz. I know the peerless goes much higher but I need the extension from the open baffle for other reasons. It is a little bit secrete-ish as I may take it commercial so before I protect the idea I don't want to give too much away. I hope the secrecy doesn't **** people off! Maybe it is obvious what I am thinking anyway.

Actually I just modelled the Fostex W300AII and it doesn't do too bad just running full range. It rolls off to soon but it too shallow a roll off. So If I boosted at 35Hz by 5dB which is what it would need I can roll it off more sharply which might help with IMD.

Can anyone say how the W300AII sounds?

I could run a separate midrange and mid-bass driver but I am trying to stay away from lots of crossovers and I think what I want can just about be pulled off. Hell it definitely could be if I had a custom driver made but you have to order at least 50 drivers and I don't know quite what its final sound quality would be like, only that it meets the T/S spec I stated!

That Silver Iris Augie looks very close to what I need in terms of T/S, only a little too big Any FR graphs for it?
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2006, 11:15 PM   #4
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: US
Quote:
Originally posted by Tenson
I was planning to use a boxed fill-in driver for the low bass (thinking Peerless XLS), but I still need the open baffle to get down to about 40 or 35Hz. I know the peerless goes much higher but I need the extension from the open baffle for other reasons. It is a little bit secrete-ish as I may take it commercial so before I protect the idea I don't want to give too much away. I hope the secrecy doesn't **** people off! Maybe it is obvious what I am thinking anyway.

Actually I just modelled the Fostex W300AII and it doesn't do too bad just running full range. It rolls off to soon but it too shallow a roll off. So If I boosted at 35Hz by 5dB which is what it would need I can roll it off more sharply which might help with IMD.

Can anyone say how the W300AII sounds?

I could run a separate midrange and mid-bass driver but I am trying to stay away from lots of crossovers and I think what I want can just about be pulled off. Hell it definitely could be if I had a custom driver made but you have to order at least 50 drivers and I don't know quite what its final sound quality would be like, only that it meets the T/S spec I stated!

That Silver Iris Augie looks very close to what I need in terms of T/S, only a little too big Any FR graphs for it?

(..its fine with me.)

Kloss on the High Eff. forum of the AudioAsylum has used them and the design was even reviewed on 6moons:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/r...alinowksi.html

Ask on the fullrange part of this forum for more into on the silver iris..

To my knowledge only the PHY driver does what you want.

Good luck!
__________________
perspective is everything
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2006, 01:41 AM   #5
Tenson is offline Tenson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Kent
Hmm those PHY drivers do look good on the specs. A little bit too much variation in the FR but not too bad. VERY expensive though! Thats about the max I could spend.

Any reviews or thoughts on how these would do used up to 1.5KHz?

The Eminence Omega 12 looks good. It rolls-off pretty early but being 95dB efficient AND taking 700watts of power it could cope with a 5dB boost at 35Hz I think!

Thanks,

I think I am getting somewhere now!
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2006, 12:08 PM   #6
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brighton UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Tenson

The Eminence Omega 12 looks good. It rolls-off pretty early but being 95dB efficient AND taking 700watts of power it could cope with a 5dB boost at 35Hz I think!
Hi,

The omega PRO12 needs a lot more boost than 5db for decent
bass at 35hz, and that is in a large sealed box, on an open baffle
it would needs loads more.

Anyone who thinks a 95dB efficient driver can handle 700 watts of
power at 35Hz doesn't really know much about loudspeaker design.

Power handling at 35 Hz open baffle is around 35 watts.

/sreten.
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2006, 12:45 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: dry ol Melbourne Australia
Hi

At www.usspeaker.com/homepage.htm
Under 15" woofers:
Kappa Pro-15LFA US$ 155 6 mm Xmax
18 Sound 15MB700 US$ 193 5.5 mm Xmax (better quality?)
B&C 15PS76 US$ 173 7.5 mm Xmax
Under 18" woofers:
Magnum Pro-18LF US$ 220 6.4 mm Xmax

Elsewhere:
Peerless 12 inch 830500 US$ 150 12 mm Xmax, used by Linkwitz in the Phoenix dipole www.linkwitzlab.com/woofer3.htm

P.Audio have a huge range see LHS of
www.p-audio.co.uk/products/db_1_10.htm
eg
http://www.p-audio.co.uk/products/db...10_s15-64m.htm 8 mm Xmax
the C12-500 MB 4.8 mm Xmax
http://www.p-audio.co.uk/products/db..._6_bm-15lf.htm 8 mm Xmax
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2006, 01:38 PM   #8
Tenson is offline Tenson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Kent
Quote:
Originally posted by sreten


Hi,

The omega PRO12 needs a lot more boost than 5db for decent
bass at 35hz, and that is in a large sealed box, on an open baffle
it would needs loads more.

Anyone who thinks a 95dB efficient driver can handle 700 watts of
power at 35Hz doesn't really know much about loudspeaker design.

Power handling at 35 Hz open baffle is around 35 watts.

/sreten.

I didn't mean to give the impression it could handle 700watts at 35Hz, only that it has a 700watts power rating. At 96dB efficient and in a home environment it is never going to get close to that so I think it can handle the bass boost.

The FR graph for it shows it at about 5dB down at 35Hz. So does my open baffle modelling from the T/S parameters. It does have a 20mm linear exertion you know.
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2006, 02:15 PM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Josephjcole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Wisconsin
That would be -5dB in an infinite baffle, so unless your commercial plans include instalation work, the response at 35Hz will be quite a bit lower. Especially with a Qts of .3. Really not to be negative but your going to have some trouble reaching very high SPL's at 35Hz with only a single woofer on an open baffle. The displacement requirements are really a bit much for a single 12" woofer I would think. I could be wrong though and I wish you luck. If you think you could work a 15", then maybe something like this would work well with minimum EQ'ing:
http://stores.channeladvisor.com/mus...s/700-08-4506?
good luck
Joe
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2006, 02:27 PM   #10
Tenson is offline Tenson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Kent
There is also a Peerless XLS 12" in a sealed sub per channel so the open baffle only has to do half the work where this kicks in. I still need it to go down to 35Hz though. So it would be all EQ'd down by about 6dB where the sub comes in and then at 35Hz the open baffle would need a little boost to keep even with the sub. Below 35Hz I want it to fall off.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Open baffle suggestions AJ Multi-Way 83 20th January 2008 12:40 AM
Suggestions? for 8" woofer for open baffle Few Planars & Exotics 8 9th August 2006 03:03 PM
Suggestions for Open Baffle Driver dsavitsk Full Range 30 21st February 2006 06:54 PM
Open baffle Woofer Characteristics Peter Menting Multi-Way 17 22nd November 2003 02:51 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:33 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2