speakers for charlize

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i mentioned to yeo at diyparadise that i was intending to purchase some used triangle titus 202's for the charlize (my source most likely will be a chinese zhaolu dac from my pc, FLAC files, kernal steaming). he responded:

why don't you build your own speakers? the triangle isn't much to my ears.

the jordan or coral flat 6 drivers, are much better than triangle nor fostex.

.....so i'm rethinking. i don't mind diy'ing speakers (or i wouldn't be here, eh?), but i live in an appartment, have no tools, and have no desire to spend long hours working on it (some is fine of course). everthing i need needs to be able to be cut by home depot, and i favor an inexpensive, functional design (straight MDF is A-ok). furthermore, the speakers will rest on my desk, and thus i'm looking for relatively small bookshelf-types if possible.

i'd say my total price cap is $500, but i'd be much happier more around $300

thoughts? suggestions? simplicity and affordability would be nice.

i listen to a lot of classical, instrumental jazz, folk, bluegrass, if that helps

thanks

ah, so simple. nice, thanks.

what does "TL" mean?

i'm not familar with fullrange drivers; will this sucker really beat down similarly priced crossover-based speakers? i mentioned triangle, but i'd be open to other options there.

prefferences as to ported or sealed? my background in car audio is that vented would increase bass response and SPL, but possibly at a decrease in detail?

the exceedingly simple 3 liter box closed design is very attractive because of it's simplicity.

also, though i'll use these speakers on when i walk around the appartment, cook, all that jazz; when it comes down to the real intensive listening, it will be in a "mini monitor" position with the speakers on both sides of my computer monitor (now thinking of getting an lcd display because my crt sticks out to far and may get in the way with the monitors toeing in), and me sitting maybe 3-4ft away

couple questions:

1. where can i get "accoustic wadding"? can i get that at home depot as well? how much do i need, and how tight should i pack it? should i shove it in there, or just fill it up without packing (i assume)?

2. how do i put the box together? nails? glue?

thanks for your patience; clearly as this is my first DIY speaker i need a lot of help. such a design as this is about as simple as it gets it seems. the lack of crossover is intriguing.

thanks

ah, so markaudio is the best/only place to get these? $360 delivered. no where to get a better deal.

just curious, not complaining. i'm sure it will be lovely, and considering how very cheap my box-costs will be, should be a super setup, especially with the value that is the charlize.

my source will be my emu0404 card, or perhaps the chinese "zhaolu" dac if i can get more info on it.

looking forward to all this. the 3 liter box seems incredibly simple, but let me know if you think i'm sacrificing audio quality with such a small design, or without porting.

up to suggestions. i think i'll grab one soon.

oh, yes: i suppose the only other thing i'd need would be internal wiring, and binding posts. i'll be using home depot outdoor extension cord (read: budget :) ) for speaker wire, will this do internally as well? heck, i could even solder the extension cord directly to the connections on the driver, and run the cord out the back, but then i'd have to remove the driver if i ever wanted to speaker wire, but that's unlikely and it would save me money and be a cleaner signal.

hope you'll forgive me for talking outloud. i'm glad this is shielded as it will be right next to my monitor, near my pc

Ported gives lower bass. Things start get more complicated now. IMO asking a small driver to do full range with bass starts to loose midrange and higher HF quality of sound. Play with WinISD
and do both calculations, see if you can design a box for both ported and closed box and use a removable plug for the port. Transmission Line design is a nice balance between ported and sealed. TL boxes are usually bigger than either ported or closed.
Have fun

Uzziah,

Please don't take offense but it appears to me that you should build a kit. Over at the Parts Express tech board you will find many answers to your quest. Post some questions there.

http://www.pesupport.com/cgi-bin/config.pl

Before investing in expensive full range drivers I would audition them. Not everyone likes their sound. Here are some projects built by guys from the Parts Express board:

http://www.partsexpress.com/projectshowcase/homeaudio.html

Or go here:

http://www.zaphaudio.com/

This guy's projects are well respected. He has a couple of projects that use Hi-V drivers.

If you want BIG bass you will need BIG boxes that may be too big to sit on either side of your computer monitor. Don't expect too much from small boxes.

Good luck......... ;)

BTW TL = transmission line, a way to enhance bass reproduction but make for large boxes and often complicated carpentry.

well, you're certainly right that i'm not adept at this sort of thing, but i don't see how building a kit would help. a jordan in a sealed enclosure would be very simple. i also don't understand how i could actually audition any of these, so if you have other suggestions, i'm all ears. the jordans are certainly expensive, and i too have doubts about using them as fullranges without any support.

then again, i'll be using them mainly in monitor-position, near a wall, so that could help with bass. but of course i haven't heard them. the main thing was that yeo reccommended them. i'm really not set on building my own by any means. if y'all have suggestions of speakers that would do well with the charlize that i could get, i'm all ears

I personally don't care about fullrangers. I think for what application you intented you'll be ok. You wont get in trouble with such a simple design and can expand on it later on if you want more. They are pricey for 2 drivers but they have a cool factor, yes. Maybe head on over to the fullrange forum see what goes on there as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.