Computer system -need advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone!

I have been searching this forum non-stop for the past week and this is what I'm planning on doing:

H-Vi B3S system from Zaph Audio

That's all I'm certain of. My questions are:

Is the LM3875 too powerful for the B3S? (from chipamp.com ON SALE!)

Will the Hi-Vi M8A be a good subwoofer?

Thank you very much!

Dan

Yes, you can use the LM3875 with the B3S, you just have to be careful about how far you turn up the volume. I have a pair on my desk running full range that at one point were driven by a 125 watt Leach amp. They sound pretty good as long as all you want is to background music. They really need to have their extension limited, as Zaph points out. But they suit my needs as an inexpensive way to get better sound than most "computer speakers."

The M8A should be a decent way to add bass output capability, although won't be a "subwoofer" since you're not likely to get below 40 Hz with it. Use two and get a decent 2 way ;)

Be sure to use an active crossover, per Zaph recommendation. Don't want to make an active crossover on perfboard? You are in luck, I am running a board group buy. http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.php?page=Active+Filter+Boards+ for details.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.