Custom build, help pls !!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey im totaly new 2 diy speakers, i have been given 4 12" 350 watt 4ohm bass drivers, an amp + cables, 2 motoral tweeters, 4 aprox 5" reflex tubes and grills, by a m8 whoes a dj, as he has bought new kit. he told me i just need to build new cabinets and they will make very gd speakers. he sugested mountain 2 in each case with a tweeter in the top corner, and 2 bass reflex tubes below the bottom driver. I can easily have wood lazer cut to any dimention, but i have no idea about wiring the speakers. i have tried reading up on the subject, but keep getting confused ( crossovers :S ) . could sum 1 pls explain wot i need 2 do, sum thing nice and simple, im not overly fussy about sound quality etc, they just need 2 go boom !! he sed somthing about simply wiren them in parrallel, but i dont no if this will work, as every where i look mentions crossovers etc ??

pls help :bawling: noob in need , dont wont 2 waste the speakers, ive set my mind on building them :D

do you have driver parameters ...?

or the brand/model numbers for the woofers? The Motorolas are probably the Piezo electric types.

Once you have that info, the rest becomes academic to a point.

The piezos have a natural roll off andso do the woofers. If the tweeters are 8 Ohm and the woofers are 4 Ohm, I'd connect the woofers in series , and connect the tweeter in parrallel to that.

cross overs limit the frequency to a driver, low pass to woofers and high pass to tweeters. In this case you may not need an Xover. Please post any info you have..

Attachments

• quick sketch.jpg
    quick sketch.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 236
Thank you very much !! :) The 4 speakers have nothing written on them, i have no idea of perameters :( i asked my m8 he sed all he nows is they are 350 watt 12" bass drivers, which he has stripped from his old cabs ( they were a mess ) 2 were connected 2 motorola tweeters which r working, and 2 to horns which have blown. is there any computer software i can use to find n e thing about the speakers ? ( ive got an amp connect to my pc, and 2 phono cables tha i have stripped )

Thanks for the wiring diagram !! :D

software..

and stuff.

do you know the brand of cabinets (JBL, EV, etc?) If so a "guess " could be made. Now, if your friend could give you the dimensions of his boxes, Internal dimensions...and whether they were ported or sealed, you could just re-make a box . If ported (most likely) ask your friend for those dimensions as well.I'm assuming the other horns are midranges?

several good software packages out there. I like WinISD. do a search for any of the software or start looking at "DIY loudspeaker" paages, just do a search.

There is a huge chunk of information out there.

One place to start looking is here:
www.speakerbuilding.com

there may also be some "DJ" type pages, I've never really looked for those..

The horns cant b used and i wasnt planning on replacing them just yet ( poor uni student, and the wood will b free ) 2 of the speakers are aprently old H|H bass ( but he's told me ill b very hard pushed 2 blow them especially with the citonic amp i have. The other 2 are replacments. They were originaly in 4 cabs ( which i dont wont, and didnt have reflex tubes which i do wont i like the look lol ) The cabs were aprox 14" wide, 20" high and 11" deep, all with about a 2" gap at the bottom cut in 2 the wood holding the speakers. Other than that i know no more. I have thought about 1 day replacing all 4 for new, but wasnt planning on spending more tha £50 per driver. Maybe i shud build 2 ported cabs for the drivers i will 1 day buy ?

I kinda blew the 1 speaker lol, oppsy, guy in the shop sed it was over 20 yrs old and it was H|H lol, ive got 1 exactly the same which ive had running on full wack with no problems, still bounces off the floor, any ideas wot i shud do with it ? or shud i jus bin it or cud i use it 4 sumthing, its pritty damn loud n bassy! ( its jus sitting in a cab with a moto tweeter ). Im now thinkin of buyen sum drivers and building sumthing of my own, big enuf for house parties in uni ( gt the police round, few noise pollution letters hehehe ), but gd enuf for me 2 use for dvd thru my pc ( i got a citronic 2 chan amp ). im gunna sell sum stuff like my 5.1, etc, so i shud have a few hundred ££, 2 buy parts 2 build if n 1s gt n e ideas pls, ( Like i sed b4 i cun gt wood 4 free, and skill ante a problem !! ) I was thinkin of sum thing with reflex tubes ( as i ve got sum and like the look ) maybe with 2 10/12" drivers in a tall design ( not 2 big tho ). Like i sed before im a total noob, jus fancy giving this ago!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.