3 way xover help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all,

I guess that I will try this again... Nobody seemed to want to reply to my last post.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74527

Maybe I will be more specific.

I am looking for help designing a passive xover for a few drivers. They are all MB Quart drivers and I can't help much for the t/s parameters for them, I can just give you the resistances of the drivers and the x-over points that I would like to have them at. I tried searching the forum and found a few different sites and examples to use, but I would like some help if possible.

I have 2x 4ohm (3.5 measured with meter) 6.5" drivers that are mounted isobarically and wired in series to give me an 8 ohm (7ohm measured) bass section (downward firing) and I have an 8ohm (aluminum dome mid) and a 6ohm tweet for this system that I need a xover design for. I would like to have the xover points to be ~500hz and ~3200hz respectively. I did manage to find a spec sheet and frequency responce graph for the mid, if that helps.

Here is the specs that I have for the mid. They are in german, but I think it is understandable (the numbers anyways)

* Frequenzbereich nach DIN: 250- 10000 Hz

* Belastbarkeit: 100 W mit 12-dB-Weiche bei 850Hz

* Mittl. Kennschalldruck (1W, 1m): 90 dB * Resonanzfrequenz: 500Hz

I am planning on having the bass drivers fire downward and the mid and tweet fire in an omnipolar way. I am not sure what the result will be yet, just something that I am playing with. I hope that someone can give me a bit of help on the xover. This is where I am getting lost. Thanks.

Attachments

• a9_1_b.jpg
    a9_1_b.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 106
Hi,
Maybe you ask "too much"..... :)
I have a friend that he do not believe at measurements and sophisticated simulation. He simply calculate theorical x-overs on 8 ohms load and so on. Incredible mystery but , sometimes, his speakers do not sucks!! He adjust a bit by ears and voilà, the speaker is made!
Joke apart, I suggest you caution and a 1000Hz 12dB octave
for the mid, 3500-4000Hz for the tw.
If you can, check the speaker's impedance curve (for amplifier's safety!).
MB quart was great domes.

Cheers,
Inertial

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.