open baffle?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok, well i made those lil satelites using 4" cambridge drivers and 1" tweeters, and i havnt put the back part of the enclosures yet, i wanted to try what will happen if i put damping material and leave em open from behind.

as the first test i just runned some Diana Krall... and i was like "whoa, that sounds GREAT!!!!!!!"

im really impressed,
then i tested some other musics, and found out that the open baffle makes the mids REALLY clear and it goes very well on latin/jazz, but really sucks on hip hop..

then made another test, closed the second satelite (it has a vent)as it was calculated.

and made the same test again, and i really think the open baffle one sounds GREAT on some musics way better than the vented one..... sucks on others like hip hop (not that i listen to that too much...)

made another test, left the enclosure open, but whitout damping material, and it was awful, too much echo (room acoustics?)

actualy, vented has more bass less mids
open baffle has really clear mids, no bass

(i have a subwoofer taking care of the bass)

is this pure luck? or what?

i'll post pictures tomorow.

thx for the replies
I tried to find a simulation program of some kind to calculate open baffle speakers, didnt find any

hum...maybe triyng stuff until i get it right and try to make some kind of conclusion out of that ?

after all... its all a matter of personal taste
heh
my mom listens to some old clock/radio that sounds like crap.. and she likes it.... shes lucky...i have to pay big money for drivers and all in order to enjoy my music.. and shes happy with a 10$ clock/radio!

Well... i just add some poly fill for pillows and theres no more echo... just perfect mids and highs out of relativly cheap tweeters and somehow good mid drivers

sorry i didnt post pics today, still waiting for this varnish to dry before remounting the drivers :)

ok, sorry for the delay, heres the pics...

Attachments

• satelite2.jpg
    satelite2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 459
i guess it looks bigger than it really is...

the box is around 10x5x5
anyway, im not really trying to make bass out of a 4" driver...
i'll leave this part to the subwoofer...

im going to change the tweeter too... this one is lame...
i spotted some nice mb quarts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.