High Sensitivity, low cost bookshelf speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just purchased the $25 Sonic T-Amp for a bedroom system.

The thing is fairly low-power, so I'm looking for some high-sensitivity (>90dB) speakers that would go with it. It's a bedroom system that will never be driven very loud. CD's from a cheap-ish stereo and XM.

I'm considering some commercial speakers (Klipsch, for example), but I'd enjoy building a set myself.

Looks aren't very important.

I'm trying to keept he budget under about $150 for a pair.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I've never really heard about full-range speakers before

Fullrange speakers - like the Fostex - are efficient, have very good midrange and imaging. They also have poor treble and non existent bass. Their poor overall frequency response and high levels of distortion add a coloration to the music that some will find appealing. Kind of like listening to an old AM radio. A very retro sound if thats your thing. An alternative for your T-amps limited power and $150 budget is something like this http://www.pispeakers.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/34
May not quite match the Fostex in the mids/imaging, but will be light years better everywhere else. It will have plenty bass for your bedroom and a drumstick will sound like it struck a cymbal rather than a paper plate. Don't expect the worlds best for $150/pr, but these should do the trick.
The Hifisupply driver looks interesting. Won't get as loud as the Pi's, but if thats not a priority, might be worth looking into. A bit of an unknown at the moment. Good luck.

Cheers,

AJ

jonnythan said:

You can get Fostex for less than that price, that's what I would do. Lot's of designs, tweaks, products for Fostex out there.

jonnythan said:
I'm currently building a subwoofer and using WinISD to design it. How does one design an enclosure for a full range speaker?

Well, if you want to go with sealed or vented, just use WinISD as you would for a sub. If you want to get fancy like t-lines and such, go check out the info and designs in the Fullrange forum. Personally, I would try for an aperiodic box if trying to make a fullrange bookshelf.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.