Speakers in a desk...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm building myself a new desk, big stainless steel and glass type design, and want it to be customized to me, because I hate the ones that you buy now that are just designed for computers. This one will have some interesting features built in, the centerpeice being a 16u rack, and two speaker cabs. THe speakers cabs are going to be made of MDF skinned in Stainless to match the rest of the desk. My problem is, I dont' know where to start on designing cabs. I would like to do a pair of three ways, but not spend alot of money on the crossovers and drivers...yet. I'm thinking of cheapie car audio drivers for now, and upgrade as I get the money, as this project will be expensive and time consuming.

I'll start with an overview of the design. It will be a corner unit, coming out 8 feet fromt the corner on either side. The back edge of the desk will bolt to the wall, the front on legs. This will come into four peices, the corner in two peices, and each 'arm'. The front of the corner will be the rack. The corner is shaped in a way that it is the corner peice, but also goes a foot down each arm.

This 1' to either side of corner is where I want to put the cabs. I'm thinking they will have to wrap around the back of the rack, as 1'x30"x2' won't be big enough. Here is a top view of the desk:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

That just shows the dimensions, not the actual peices.

One thing that just occured to me, is should I be building one cabinet, or three seperate ones on each side? Which would be easier? And, will wrapping the box in stainless affect the sound?

Anyways, back on topic. How can I design a 3 way encloseure that will be versitile enough that the drivers will be upgradeable at a later time? If anyone could either reccomend a program, or would take the time to give me volumes that would be great! I don't know what other details you need, but i'll try to answer any questions I can.

Ctardi,

What is your primary use for the desk. I don't know exactly how much of the desktop that you will need for your work. If you are wanting nice computer speakers you will be better off with some smallish high quality two ways to put in front of you by side of the computer monitor. Some nearfield monitors if you will.

Then you can built a nice subwoofer to go underneath in any convenient place. A HT receiver would be awesome as you could set up a small surround system with a couple of cheap speakers behind you. The HT receiver will have a phantom center channel mode so that you can eliminate the center channel which doesn't work too well on a desktop arrangement.

Or you could listen through some good headphones when you don't want to use the speakers. The HT receiver also gives you the option of using both the multichannel analog outputs from the motherboard soundcard or using the SPDIF digital connector to the HT receiver to get the best sound to listen to ripped music tracks and games that output in DD 5.1.

I prefer to have nothing on the desk top. No computer on it, this will be for stereo sound, I dislike surround on music. I use alot of work surface, which is my main reason for building this desk. Right now I have stuff piled about a foot think on the desk, top of the rack, 2 end tables, and a card table. (and the floor)

I am getting a deal on some used 15" drivers, and he's sending me the specs later this evening. So it looks like i'll be able to go with a high end set of drivers right off the bat. I'll let you guys know more when I know more.

I prefer to build rather then buy, and by putting these as part of the desk, they are only taking up un-usable space, rather than valuable floor or desk space.

ctardi,

Sounds like this is more for background listening. Since you won't be able to put the speakers in an optimized location it might be well to turn the cabinets in a little so they are facing you while you sit at the desk. Kind of like a large set of headphones.

You could also angle the baffle so the drivers are aimed more at your ears while you sit at the desk. I guess it depends on your priorities. IF you just want some good background music you should be able to get by with some good inexpensive full range drivers. As has been stated above this approach avoids several crossover problems from listening in the near field.

Since the locations of the speakers are far from ideal it doesn't make sense to worry about having seperate cabinets but a single well designed cabinet should work well.

As far as drivers go with the best you can afford and though a two way or a full range would be adequate to suit you a three way will have the potential for better bass response because you can use a larger driver.

One thing you should do is to make the cabinets very heavy and rigid and dead so that the music does not excite vibrations in the desk when you are working at the desk. It would be best if the speaker cabinets were not touching any part of the desk except where they have to to stand and some kind of decoupling mechanism should be deployed.

I've got a deal on some higer end 10" drivers through a supplier, i'm just waiting to get the specs, said he has about 30 or so models for me to choose from, all from profesional level PA systems, said he would toss in a few crossovers for me to play with too. What do I want to put with a 10"? Something like a 4" or a tweeter?

I can buid the box, I just need help designing it. It will have 48"^2 contact with the desk, i'm deciding how best to isolate it. One Idea I had was eyebolts and use some thin aircraft cable to hang them slightly off the bottom of the desk.

I'll post specswhen I get them

Hanging the speakers with thin aircraft cable sounds like a good idea.

I would make a three way with a 10 inch woofer and a 6.5 inch or 5.25 inch mid/bass then a 1 inch tweeter.

However, the PA speakers are not ideal for what you are doing but they can be made to work. IF you have the right ones. You really need some speakers that are for home audio applications.

PA speakers are primarily designed to be efficient and sturdy but they sacrifice fidelity and low bass generally.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.