6.5" silver flute with 1 1/8" dayton silk dome tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i build a pair of towers using theese drivers 2 cubic feet tuned to 45 hz, for extreme bass output for a 6.5 " driver.

My question is, can the crossover parts be magnatized cause adverse effects on the sound, if so, is 8 inches away from the magnet of the woofer enough?

thanks, any advice is appreciated

Linkletter

Jadenlinkletter,

How do the silverflute drivers sound. I am planning on using a pair of the 5.25 inch for some midbass drivers in a three way system.

I especially would like to know how the midrange sound quality is.

As far as I know the inductors can certainly be significantly effected by the speakers magnetic field and the capacitors can to but the effect is magnitudes less significant. The speakers magnetic field is strongest out to the sides of the magnet so you should locate the crossover componants as far away and to the rear of the woofers magnet as possible.

I think the immeadiate magnetic field is of greater concern than long term part magnetization.

Many commercial speakers would have the crossovers located closer than eight inches to the driver but the farthest away the better.

Of course of you are going for the highest sound quality possible it would be best to put the crossovers in a seperate box and move them further away from the driver and out of the vibrations caused by the air pressures inside the cabinet. This takes more room but makes it easier to tweak the crossover without taking the speakers apart.

Thanks for the feedback on the silverflutes. I'm going to order some soon.

the 5.25" are wicked, my buddy uses them in his HT, they're clear, they're low, n they're unbelievably loud for some reason. give them a try you wont be dispointed. i've tried/hear the 5's the 6's and the 8's and they're all wicked drivers. ask anyone

Great! I have some Silver-Flute 8"(shielded) + S-F ribbon DIY speakers waiting for holes and assy., so I still haven't heard them. (Um, well... I did, but in free air and them seem to be pretty good)

The smaller ones should be good for some small inexpensive portable speakers then?

DragonMaster said:
Unfortunately, I just realised that they're too big for what I want to do : Some ~2L speakers.

hi,

a quick sim indicates a Q of 1.00 in a sealed 2L box.

Which is not exactly unusable, especially with a subwoofer.

Though a smaller driver will get more low bass out of 2L,
at the cost of efficiency of course.

:)/sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.