Dipoles (continued)...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The story far:

I had a pair of Goodmans 201's that I used in a larged ported box and one day thought 'why not try them in an open baffle'.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Being very pleased with the way they sounded, I knocked up some better baffles.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The only thing missing was a bit more 'bottom end'. So I added some passive EQ and that improved matters but I still wanted more. So I built some TL woofers

and voila - it all sounds divine! ;)

But like everybody else on these forums, I couldn't possibly be satisfied and anyway, those huge TL's take up so much space. What to do next? Well try some open baffle woofers of course and at the end of last year, an offer that I couldn't refuse, tempted me to buy four 12 inch bass drivers. Since Christmas I have been knocking up some new protype baffles from an old wardrobe, a pack of laminate flooring and some bits of my mates stack of firewood. Here is the result.

Right, that the end of the entertainment, now for some questions! ;)

Now, I know that I could use something like a Behringer DCX2496 to control the woofers (and mid/tweeters) but I can't really afford one right now (even if they were available). So I am looking for something that I can build to get me going. The two options I have found so far are the circuits on the Siegfried Linkwitz site and the circuit designed for the Contrapunt sub .

The second of those two options looks easier to build but I am confused by the circuit diagram.

It says 110 Hz on the diagram but according to my calculations the woofers cross over at around 76 Hz and the main drivers (ESL's in this case) have a cut off around 300 Hz.

So can anybody suggest if this circuit would work reasonably well with my new baffle/woofers and explain how it is a 110 hz crossover? :confused:

Or is there something else out there that I can use? I'm sure that I am not the only one on this road so let's more forward together. :att'n:

Nuuk said:

It says 110 Hz on the diagram but according to my calculations the woofers cross over at around 76 Hz and the main drivers (ESL's in this case) have a cut off around 300 Hz.

So can anybody suggest if this circuit would work reasonably well with my new baffle/woofers and explain how it is a 110 hz crossover? :confused:

Hi,

Seems to me you are not considering the combined acoustic
response of the sections and the electrical response of the c/o,
combined c/o is at 110Hz, electrically it is not.

Without modification it is not suitable for your case.

Check out JK's NaO.

http://www.musicanddesign.com/naofaq.html

:)/sreten.

OK thanks for the compliments. I must state that the design was inspired after seeing Icebear's OB's . In fact I cut out four curved side panels like his but just didn't like them so I went for the straight line approach instead.

I will be writing up this project on Decibel Dungeon and hope to be able to include full details.

Woofer drivers are Max Pentivent 1230's from Nightfire here in the UK although I think that they are available the other side of the Atlantic too!

Sreten, thanks for your comments. I am still at the stage of taking crossover circuits 'literally' and not being able to work out how they work in practice. I had contacted John at Nao but he advised me correctly that I would need to measure the system before proceeding.

Obviously, the advantage of the Behringer (disregarding and potential sound degradation) is that a novice like myself can fiddle around until he gets to some arrangement that sounds good.

Things were a lot easier with the TL woofers but of course they didn't require any EQ!

Iron Wizard, as I said, I will publish full details in due time. The woofer cabs are 35 cm deep, 55 cm high and 38 cm wide.

Do you already have amplification for the sub section? If not, this gentleman can provide a plate amp with a LT for your dipole eq. http://www.rythmikaudio.com/lt.htm
Your cabinet my have enough asymmetry where you don't have to notch your dipole peak, the plates low pass filter may suffice.
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/nonservo_product.htm#250basic
Perhaps someone has something similar in the UK?
Hopefully you have measurement capability. I always assume this about anyone building their own speaker design, much less dipoles!

Cheers,

AJ

AJ - I have four LM3886 GC amps ready for this job!

I thought that the Linkwitz transform circuit was for sealed box woofers. But it's a neat idea providing something like that circuit in a plate amp. Presumably though I have to know what values of components I will need.

Now when it comes to measuring I only have my RS digital meter that I know is a bit unreliable at the frequency extremes. Perhaps I have been lulled into a false sense of security by getting my TL woofers set up so well, but I was hoping that I could do the same with OB woofers!
:rolleyes:

Thanks Dave. Inspiration is one of the best aspects of these forums. I wonder how much more DIY goes on in the world since diyAudio and other hi-fi forums sprang up! :att'n:

I really started making these speakers as no more than testbeds that wouldn't look too bad in my lounge if it took a few months or so to sort out the crossovers etc. Hence the frugalphile ingredients. But if I'm honest, they have come out much better than I expected!

But I don't know if I would use the same method of construction again! The laminate flooring is pre-finished and it is ultra-easy to damage it during construction. Next time it will be 3/4 inch (22 mm) thick board and a veneer! :att'n:

BTW, the side panels are bolted to the front panel so it all comes apart for storage or transportation! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.