Hi + Loudspeaker design - omnisat style? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd February 2006, 12:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Hi + Loudspeaker design - omnisat style?

Hey all,

I would like to say hi and pick your brains for a sec...

I Live in Vancouver BC area up here in canada and a audiohaulic. I have too many pairs of speakers and pieces of audio equipment to count, with a huge crush on MB Quart brand speakers. They have captured my heart at a young age and I have a huge collection of their car and home speaker systems and a huge accumulation of their raw drivers, especially their tweeters. It was the tweet that I heard in a store and I added to my car stereo when I was young that started this romance.

Now I have a abundance of drivers that I have collected to design my own set of speakers that I have been thinking of for a while. I just thought finally of a way that I would like to do so.

I have a pair of MB Quart Terra's (ceramic sub/sat system...really cool!!) and I would like to create a system based around 2 subs from this system that I ordered from various sources that arrived damaged (ceramics in more pieces than humpty dumpty due to poor packing / shipping) and I now have two good shells to start with for the basis of a pair of speakers that I am dreaming up.

Without going into too much detail at the moment, these shells have two 6 1/2 inch drivers isobarically loaded with a port. These drivers are 4 ohms each.

Now to make a real long story short, I would like to take these platforms as a base for a pair of interesting speakers. I am planning on building a similarly shaped shell to house two more drivers. MB Quart's 2" titanium midrange driver (8ohm) and a MB Quart 1" QTD25 Titanium (6ohm) to provide the tweetage. As for x-over, I am not quite sure yet what I am going to do (passive or active) (bi/tri amped or not) that will be decided later. I am leaning toward an active x-over of some sort and I will probably multiamp it.

Here's the kicker... The 6 1/2's are going to be downward firing and I would like to model the upper soundstage after Mirage's omnisat's (a la dispersion o plenty). I would like to incorporate into the design and mimick the little dispersionary dome/cone or whatever you want to call it above both the mid and the tweet. I am not really sure what kind of results I will end up with, just a thought and something I was picturing in my mind.

To my point...(for now) Does anyone have these speakers or have access to any dimensions/measurements or the like for such beasts? I may go to the local mirage dealer to see if they will let me take a few up close picks of these bad boys so that I can as close as possible replicate the angle/position/shape of this design, so as I can incorporate it onto my own creation.

I will further go into detail about this design as I come up with it, but right now it is in it's infintile stages and just a pic in my mind, however it will be the first step in designing one of many to come speaker projects that I have in mind. I have built a few other speakers before, but most just a basic box and drivers with no real engineering behind it and this will be my first attempt at a pair of real speakers.

I welcome any and all comments that anyone has. I just wanted to say a quick hello and actually put something into writing so as I have a starting point. I appreciate all the knowledge and expertise that this forum has and look forward to becoming actively involved. I have been reading many posts for a long time and now I finally have actually spoke and am excited to participate.

Thanks in advance...

Chris Nicholls

Hide this!Advertise here!