Improving Vintage Advents

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I own two pairs of original Large Advent loudspeaker which serve as my primary speakers in two seperate systems. I bought the first pair in 1977 and the second on EBay a few years ago. I have always enjoyed the sound of the Advents, so much so that I have always felt it would be very dificult to replace them with better performing speakers at a reasonable price. It was gratifying to see them listed in the top 100 important audio products in Stereophile recently.http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

I have started upgrading one pair, so far with polypropylene capacitors. I wound air core inductors that are waiting to be installed.

I am just getting back into DIY audio after many years away from it. I recently got operating two channels of what will ultimately be a quad mono Leach amplifier. This replaces a Leach Low Tim II amplifier I built in the 1978-79 timeframe. I am running these with a Leach Wide Band Preamp (bipolar) built in the same timeframe. The new Leach clearly sound better than the old.

Are there any other Advent fans out there? Have any of you done any modfications to the Advents, especially anything more significant than just the crossover parts upgrades I am working on? Do the Advents still stand up well compared to resonably priced modern speakers or do I just have tin ears?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.