Ideal 'helper' tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, we have had many threads about which is the 'best' tweeter but I am looking for something to compliment my Godmans 201 'full-range' drivers and they will only need to work from 6 kHz at minimum.

So, I don't have to worry about how low they will cross over and wondered if, relieved of the lower frequency workload, it would make sense to go for a tweeter that went as high as 30 kHz.

Any comments?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I haven't played with one for about 5 years, but they were certainly pretty flat out to about 22K where the measurement mic I was using at the time gave up.

It's probably worth keeping your eye on eBay, they do seem to come up quite frequently, but the more I think about it, the more I'm sure they were only about £30 new.

6 kHz and up? I'd use a Seas 27TBFC/G or 27TDFC.

That has been my choice based on the review on Zaph's web site but I wondered if they were optimal as I don't need to go lower than 6 kHz.

I don't know how many are still available out there or for that matter what they would be worth now, but perhaps Audax's HD3P may work......

You are right, they are very rarely seen these days and even if they were, I doubt they would go for much less than the original price of around a hundred pounds. :(

How sensitive are the godmans? I've been crossing a variety of (super) tweeters over at that point or so for quite some time, I find it to be a near optimal XO point in many instances, far enough out of the midband that it's less noticable, not so atrociously high that a good mid can't keep it together.

Best!
Badman

Aurum Cantus G2si? sensitivity is about the same as your 201s and they certainly sound better to me than most domes in terms of delicacy and detail. The only real limitation I've found is that they sound a bit forced sooner then a decent dome like a SEAS or Morel crossed over at the usual 3kHz or so, but crossed over at 6kHz I doubt that would be an issue. Or if you want to go vintage the Decca DK30 or the London are still pretty amazing if you crossover high and don't need too much volume. Expensive though...

Actually the horn dispersion should help in this case.

I would first measure your dispersion (off-axis response) vs frequency, and then choose x-o point and what will likely have to be a horn tweeter to match the measured dispersion at chosen x-o. Otherwise you'll have a honk problem, if you plug in a wide dispersion dome into an already severely beaming fullrange at 6 kHz.

Well, I was up too late last night Googling for the Fostex FT17X and there are many people recommending it. There were a couple of exceptions though, notably Dick Olsher who tried one with his BassZilla and found it made a spitting noise!

That's a good point about the dispersion issue though MJK! I have not encountered it with my present OBs and dome tweeters, but they cross over higher (currently usig a 1.0 uF cap).

The Fostex is my current choice for now although the search goes on. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.