Visaton ke25sc or Scan-Speac D2905/9500

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I like to build a new speakers but i can't choose a right tweeter. I have read that ke25sc is one of the best and 9500 is also good. Or should i choose something else.
Midbass driver is going to be visaton al170 but it's not firmed.
Hope You cold give me some advices.

With both you cannot go wrong. I prefer the Scan Speak, because these softdomes sound very rich and airy. For a more neutral presenation you can consider the ke25sc.

Those AL170 are great, and will make a great speaker with both tweeters. Keep the x-over <= 2000 Hz (with reasonably steep slopes, and place a notch filter on the cone break up/ resonance of the AL170).

Good Luck,
Taco

"The three 1micro F caps in series and the 2.2mH inductor work as a notch filter, so you don't need to add it."

This I know,but I'm not sure about use the ke25sc at 2,5kHz (2k) crossover point, it has fs about 1,2. Maybe it will be ok, but at 2k THD increase with spl (2 harmonic). I had this drivers but never spliced each other. I'm considering L18rnx/p as well but price in Poland is aprox 100E.
If somebody has already build speakers using visatons al170+ke25sc please write some listening impressions. Thanks !!!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I don't know where you got th info on the fs of the KE25SC but as far as I know it has an fs at 800hz.
I'm using it in a 3way with the Al200 and TI100 and have a X-over at about 2Khz and this works just fine. Visaton itself uses this tweeter also with a x-over at 2Khz.
The KE25SC also has a LRC element inside to compensate for impedance. So no compensation network needed for this also.

I`m starting a project with the KE25SC, Ti100 and AL200. This should be a configuration like the Classic design. However, there are a lot of things I do not like in Visaton`s project. First is the crossover. Ceramic domes usually work better with a 2nd order filter unlike the 3rd one used in the Visaton`s example. We are recently working on the redesing of the crossover for the KE25SC as our experience with Accutons shows they work better with a second order filter. Also, do not copy the speaker box plans on the Visaton website, their boxes have a lot of resonances. The boxes use thin 18mm wood plates, made of one piece of wood only. I was listening to a speaker that used the TiW250 in the same box and the box produced half of the sound...If you want a good box, consider using 3-4 different types of wood plates as they will have different resonant freq. Create a sandwich of at least 25mm. On the top and bottom use at least 30mm. If you could find somebody to create an eliptical box ( the shape of the Opera and Sonus Faber ) and you use enough wool to dampen it, you`ll have a great sounding speaker as the Visaton high-end drivers are really good.

Once I start my project, I`ll post pictures with the progress :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.