4" drivers suggestions... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2006, 02:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 4" drivers suggestions...

so, with this months paycheck ill be looking at building a 2.1 / 2.2 sub sat system for the new house, WAF factors say it cant be a large or even medium sized system so looking at comercialy available systems available i keep looking at 3 systems, castle compact, quad L-ite and MA R90's all of these have a great WAF apeal, shes said she like them so in diy audio style i want to make my own of similar proportions.

so to start with ill need to find suitable 4" drivers ive found a few but i am here asking for your comments and suggestions for the best sounding 4" driver available for around the 80 each mark.

next up are the tweets, ideas in the 20 - 30 mark?

the electronics such as the crossover amplifier and DAC are to be made in a 2 box setup, 1 for the power supply and one for the processing stage and amp stage, the amp im pretty settled on a gainclone. but for now i want to concerntrate on the enclosure and driver choice.

thanks for any help.

Stu.
Old 19th February 2006, 03:39 PM   #2
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Fostex FE103E 4" Full Range at Madisound

Shielded version of above driver, FE107E at Madisound.

Most would say you won't need a tweeter with these since they have pretty decent on axis response all the way up to 20kHz, but I'm determined to make a smallish bass reflex design using the 103E and a tweeter. You can check out my ramblings here if you'd like.

There are also other nice full range drivers from Jordan or Creative Sound Solutions you could look into. Maybe checking out the full range forum would help give you an idea of what else is out there.
Old 19th February 2006, 05:18 PM   #3
Puggie is offline Puggie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I can reccommend the Morel MW114, 4.5" midbass if you want to go mid and tweet, BUT I would be looking at fullrange drivers if you will be running a sub, the cash you save from not having to build a Xover means you can look at really good full range drivers.

The CSS 4.5" rullrange driver from www.madaboutsound.co.uk in the uk, 50ea last time I looked

or

the Jordan JX92 aluminium cones full range driver, I think the come in at about 180 a pair, a bit more expensive but if you was looking at 80+30 for your two drivers its still effectively under budget. www.ejjordan.co.uk.

For the Fostex, www.wilmslowaudio.co.uk are the UK dealers.
Old 19th February 2006, 06:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

been having a play around in win isd with a few drivers and have seen a few lil things.

firstly... the fr125 from css

great looking driver and has had great reviews however, either i must have inputted the data wrong or does this driver realy need a 40L enclosure for a sealed setup?!? and a 69L enclosure for a vented box?!? seems insane.

jordan 92s

for a start its fullrange so a reasonably cheap option. ( tweet and crossover not needed) looking pretty good, still pretty needy on volume.

morel MW114s

at the moment the closest match to what i need. great responce all the way down to 60hz and very flat. any ideas on a tweet to match with it? somthing in the 30 mark as stated before

any other suggestions?

stu
Old 19th February 2006, 07:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The 0.35 mm xmax of the Fostex would seem to be a serious limitation.
Old 19th February 2006, 09:43 PM   #6
AJinFLA is offline AJinFLA  United States
Banned

If you are concerned with accuracy and transparency, I would suggest two Seas drivers: http://www.seas.co.uk/acatalog/H1207.pdf and
http://www.seas.no/seas_line/tweeters/H1212.pdf (Seas UK has bad link for this driver)
xo @ 1.5k.
You made no mention of magnetic shielding. The closest thing I could find to a kit using these drivers was http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1815.1/
which unfortunately is an MTM.
A simple 2 way with those drivers will give you a very high price/performance ratio within your budget IMHO.
The revealing nature of these drivers are disliked by those who would prefer a glossed over, dampened and smoothened out (or unsmoothened in the case of the fullrange driver) version of whats actually there on the recording. It's not for everyone.
If you would prefer the speaker give you all thats there, rather than a creamy interpretation, these might be just your thing.

Cheers,

AJ

prices available here: http://www.seas.co.uk/acatalog/index.html
Old 19th February 2006, 10:47 PM   #7
Puggie is offline Puggie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You could go with the Seas CA12 and build a clone of the Proac Tablette, you would want a Vifa DX25 tweet to match.

Have a look on www.humblehomemadehifi.com for some nice designs with the little Seas alu cone driver (HATT range)

The FR125 plans are available on the creative sound solutions site and there is plenty of stuff in the full range section here.
Old 20th February 2006, 12:55 AM   #8
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stuman69er
been having a play around in win isd with a few drivers and have seen a few lil things.

great looking driver and has had great reviews however, either i must have inputted the data wrong or does this driver realy need a 40L enclosure for a sealed setup?!? and a 69L enclosure for a vented box?!? seems insane.

jordan 92s

for a start its fullrange so a reasonably cheap option. ( tweet and crossover not needed) looking pretty good, still pretty needy on volume.

morel MW114s

at the moment the closest match to what i need. great responce all the way down to 60hz and very flat. any ideas on a tweet to match with it? somthing in the 30 mark as stated before

any other suggestions?

stu

although it will cost more, consider Jim Griffin's Jordan 92's w/ ribbon - its what your looking for (..only much better at a modest increase in price). Try doing a search here for more information - and you can always "ping" Jim himself on the forum, he is a member here.
Old 20th February 2006, 02:11 AM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by stuman69er

FR/WR125 require a 4 litre (aperiodic) up to 12-14 litre sealed or ported. I haven't built the aperiodic boxes yet, but have lived with some very good 13 l ported (miniOnkens) or 12 l sealed (bibolar bipoles)

There are lots of examples in the box library page at the planet10-hifi link below.

dave
Old 20th February 2006, 02:15 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

www.zaphaudio.com

look at the hivi full range on this site. I built the Tangband full range that was popular before it and it was quite good. Don't be put off by the very low price of the driver.

You could also build the tangband full range on the same site. I think the plans are still on his site. Everyone that has ever seen mine thought they were extremely cool. They're quite tiny too.

I saw a two way with the Dayton rs125 but I dont remember where. If you can find one you'd have a tough time getting better performance for anywhere near the price. Ill post a link if i find it.

Hide this!Advertise here!