diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   Plastic cones or paper cones? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/74189-plastic-cones-paper-cones.html)

beppe61 17th February 2006 12:27 PM

Plastic cones or paper cones?

Dear Sirs,

I read somewhere that the best material for a cone is still paper (i.e. compound based on cellulose).
Actually I understand that the vast majority of the cone pro drivers are made out of paper.
The reproduced sound of some instruments like piano is said to be more natural through paper cones.
Plastics of course are much easier to use (and cheap too).
But not soo good in the end.

What is your opinion?

Kind regards,

beppe

Bas Horneman 17th February 2006 02:58 PM

I suppose each has their own advantages. Somehow I often prefer to use natural materials where possible.

Apart from the pro drivers...even so called "state of the art" and highly regarded mainstream stuff uses paper cones. Like the Scanspeak revelator. In the end it's the complete speaker and the complete implentation that matters more that the individual parts I think...and when the result is good who cares how it's done :)

Sometimes though I like to use unnatural things like vacuums ;)

Cal Weldon 17th February 2006 03:02 PM

beppe,

I don't think you will get a concrete answer on this one. All cone materials have their advantages and disadvantages and there doesn't seem to be a "best"

I prefer the sound of paper, it sounds more "natural" to me. Having said that, I own and use cones made of aluminum, poly and quartz composite fiber. I also have domes made of silk, aluminum, bakelite and titanium. All of which I am happy with.

OT: Hows the Olympics affecting you in your work and play? Are you attending any events? I'm asking because Vancouver's next on the slate in 2010 and it'd be nice to hear from someone right there. Email me if the response is long.

Thanks.

beppe61 17th February 2006 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bas Horneman

1) I suppose each has their own advantages.
2) Somehow I often prefer to use natural materials where possible.
3) Apart from the pro drivers...even so called "state of the art" and highly regarded mainstream stuff uses paper cones.
Like the Scanspeak revelator.
4) In the end it's the complete speaker and the complete implentation that matters more that the individual parts I think...
5) and when the result is good who cares how it's done :)
6) Sometimes though I like to use unnatural things like vacuums ;)

Dear Sir,
thank you so much for your kind and valuable reply.
1) I completely agree on this.
2) I am not against synthetic ones on principle. Maybe carbon fiber is the best. But it is so uncommon.
Never heard a carbon fiber cone.
3) This must mean something IMHO.
4) Yes. In the end. But in the beginning there are the drivers.
IMO they fix the top performances available from a speakers.
5) Very good approach. I would like to behave the same.
6) you are speaking of tubes aren't you?

Thank you so much again.
Have a nice weekend.
Regards,

beppe

Rudolf 17th February 2006 03:19 PM

Beppe,

every material that is very homogeneous will tend to resonate at defined (and definable) frequencies. Materials that are more inhomogeneous (like paper) develop resonances to a lesser extend. So you want some inhomogeneity - but a controlled one! Controlled quality is easily achieved with materials like poly and aluminium, but becames kind of an art with paper etc.

So a cheaply made paper cone could well be much worse than a cheaply made aluminium cone. But a top notch paper cone will be hard to beat.

Bas Horneman 17th February 2006 03:20 PM

Quote:

4) Yes. In the end. But in the beginning there are the drivers.
Yes indeed. Good point. It must be easier to design a good loudspeaker with a good driver? (I have a question mark, because I am not a speaker designer)

And yes I meant tubes. :)

Have a good weekend too!

beppe61 17th February 2006 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bas Horneman
It must be easier to design a good loudspeaker with a good driver? (I have a question mark, because I am not a speaker designer)
Have a good weekend too!

Can we say that the quality of drivers fixes the top of the performance we can get ?
If a driver is bad in some way no crossover can overcome this fact.
Nevertheless a bad crossover can waste the quality of excellent drivers.

Kind regards,
beppe

sreten 17th February 2006 04:58 PM

Hi,

nearly all "paper" cones are better described as plastic composites. The
plastic acts as a binder and a sealer preventing the cone being hydroscopic.

The actual make up of most "paper" cones is relatively complex.

Pure pulp (wood, banana, bamboo hemp etc) cones would be a
utter nightmare due to the variability of the moisture content.

:)/sreten.

Audiophilenoob 17th February 2006 04:59 PM

I would take a stiff pressed paper cone over any poly cone I know about...

for lots of reasons but mostly dampening

Code 17th February 2006 05:56 PM

i like the sound of my MF MC4's which have plastic cones, but then i have nothing to compare them to. pointless post?