check it out DIY gurus - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 18th February 2006, 04:43 AM   #41
Zaph is offline Zaph  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Audiophilenoob
Zaph's concerns while possibly applicable aren't really important here likely...

.... it's not a speaker for the full range zaph order of folks... though we can make someone like zaph his ideal full range
My concerns are only distortion, and IMHO, that's all-important. At least to me, more so than output.

Please don't lump me in with the full range crowd, as I generally dislike full range drivers, particularly the larger ones.

I hope Jim Griffin does more than subjective tests. I find the usual audiophile testing verbage relatively useless in telling us how a driver really performs. Jim, if you catch this thread, could you please do harmonic distortion, both near field and far field frequency response and IMD, preferably in comparison with other drivers.

Regards,
John

Old 18th February 2006, 05:41 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zaph

My concerns are only distortion, and IMHO, that's all-important. At least to me, more so than output.

Please don't lump me in with the full range crowd, as I generally dislike full range drivers, particularly the larger ones.

I hope Jim Griffin does more than subjective tests. I find the usual audiophile testing verbage relatively useless in telling us how a driver really performs. Jim, if you catch this thread, could you please do harmonic distortion, both near field and far field frequency response and IMD, preferably in comparison with other drivers.

Regards,
John
I for one would like to see Zaph's distortion tests run on these new drivers, if only to quantify how much better they performa than the current crowd..

--Chris

Old 18th February 2006, 08:26 PM   #43
morbo is offline morbo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I for one would like to see Zaph's distortion tests run on these new drivers, if only to quantify how much better they performa than the current crowd..
ditto, rather have distortion/csd/unsmoothed FR/unsmoothed impedance than hear how many 'veils were lifted' any day. So sending them to people who can objectively test them would be a good idea IMHO.

Old 19th February 2006, 06:02 PM   #44
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

The Feastrex/ mu:xacta 6.5" drivers have about half the excursion and 106 dB sensitivity. And Mr. Sano said he did`t need a single patented technology to achieve this. I guess we`ll see a lot of interesting drivers the next years.

Old 20th February 2006, 04:40 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zaph

Regards,
John
I've talked to jim and he's confirmed and I have agreed that Jim will be sending you his test Omega 6.5"... along the guidlines you and Jim talked about.

Jim will send you my contact information so I can get your address... hopefully within 2 weeks you can confirm for everyone all that we already know

Old 20th February 2006, 06:50 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by el`Ol
The Feastrex/ mu:xacta 6.5" drivers have about half the excursion and 106 dB sensitivity. And Mr. Sano said he did`t need a single patented technology to achieve this. I guess we`ll see a lot of interesting drivers the next years.

no fostex driver has anywhere near 11mm one way from what I understand

half of the delta's excursion perhaps...

using the former on the delta we can get 96-97db/w but it's not advantageous for our purposes

Old 20th February 2006, 06:58 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

ahem , noob it is not fostex, but feastrex Feastrex site

Old 20th February 2006, 09:09 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nemophyle
ahem , noob it is not fostex, but feastrex Feastrex site
Now those are some nice looking speakers. Like noob I thought it was a typo and that the original poster meant fostex

Thanks for the link.

Old 21st February 2006, 05:08 AM   #49
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi, nice design ! Low inductance, very reasonable price and very nice efficiency ! Very good !

I would like to know why you spent money for a high Xmax like that ? About half of it is not useable except in a IB situation (maybe I'm slightly exagerating hehe). I think you could trade about 10mm in Xmax for 96 dB/W/m efficiency ?

Old 21st February 2006, 06:53 AM   #50
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by simon5
Hi, nice design ! Low inductance, very reasonable price and very nice efficiency ! Very good !

I would like to know why you spent money for a high Xmax like that ? About half of it is not useable except in a IB situation (maybe I'm slightly exagerating hehe). I think you could trade about 10mm in Xmax for 96 dB/W/m efficiency ?

The Supravox 215 GMF is this kind of driver. And cheaper than one might assume. You even find a 98dB dome tweeter here (have not seen the price, yet).

http://www.supravox.fr/haut_parleurs/215_GMF.htm

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!