check it out DIY gurus - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 18th February 2006, 01:45 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by demogorgon
this sounds way to good to be true,

hahah I know... that's why it's so funny when I realized it IS true

nothings really that amazing about it to be honest.... just a real smart approach with cost no object

Old 18th February 2006, 01:50 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to demogorgon
I'l say.

say this IS true, then this driver is a momentous achievement.
no more need for subs, no need for 3way designs in order to maintain a decent SPL potensial.. i'd like a couple of towers with 2*omegas and revelators, boosted flat to 25Hz. with the CRAZY Xmax on these drivers it's probably doable to.

Old 18th February 2006, 01:50 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

What the introductory price noob?

When is the pre-order starting and have you sent out the samples yet. When will we see the first of test results from the independants?

Any FR, impedance plots yets?

Old 18th February 2006, 01:51 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

preorder prices were 120 for the 2 and 4 ohm, 140 for the 8ohm. in dollars that is.

Old 18th February 2006, 01:55 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'l say.

no more need for subs, no need for 3way designs in order to maintain a decent SPL potensial.. i'd like a couple of towers with 2*omegas and revelators, boosted flat to 25Hz. with the CRAZY Xmax on these drivers it's probably doable to.
I wouldn't run these in that manner unless you went with a ported tower like 3 cubes to get you to 30hz for a single omega...

if you think this is a leap because nobody else has anything close to it you're mistaken... it's a leap only because we had the balls to make it.... the specs and the data of the thing confirm everything we've said... model in Maxwell among other programs if you'd like to figure it out if we're correct... top plate OD is 37mm on the omega... magnet is N42 grade neodymium 3" od, 37mm ID, 7mm thick, coil is actually 2.5mm tall (just measured it), top plate is 44mm thick, pole is 1" 1006 steel solid.... yields around .5-.55T with basically no fluctuation within the B inside of the gap... add that to a 64 wind VC and only 2.5mm tall and you get what's there....

We still haven't made any claims towards SQ.... though I love it .... I want Someone besides me to tell you what I hear....

Quote:
Originally posted by ShinOBIWAN
What the introductory price noob?

When is the pre-order starting and have you sent out the samples yet. When will we see the first of test results from the independants?

Any FR, impedance plots yets?
the FR and impedance will be up by tomorrow sometime....

$130/ea for 2,4 ohms and $140/ea for 8 ohms because a phase plug is added as well....

independants will be whenever a tester decides to post them

Jim Griffin's subjective tests will be the first you will get.... Npdang will have one to test at his leisure (under 7 days however).... I would imagine that it would be within the next 2-3 weeks Dang has something... as long as he doesn't take a long time....

Old 18th February 2006, 01:58 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'l say.

Hi demogorgon

I don't think that will be doable on a level that will completely vindicate all what you've outlined.

I think that in reality what we will have is a good midbass/midrange driver that works at its absolute best in the 200hz-3.5Khz range. I really wouldn't use it full range because of directivity and I wouldn't use it to pump out 25-30hz bass regardless of xmax because even 2 x 6.5" with 44mm of peak-peak is only sweeping a relatively small amount of air compared to a 12" with an average 36mm peak-peak. Distortion around Fs is also a very important consideration if you expect to use these down low.

I still see 3-way and subwoofers around for a long time yet, even if the driver fully lives up to specs and expectations.

Old 18th February 2006, 02:01 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I think that in reality what we will have is a good midbass/midrange driver that works at its absolute best in the 200hz-3.5Khz range. I really wouldn't use it full range because of directivity and I wouldn't use it to pump out 25-30hz bass regardless of xmax because even 2 x 6.5" with 44mm of peak-peak is only sweeping a relatively small amount of air compared to a 12" with an average 36mm peak-peak. Distortion around Fs is also a very important consideration if you expect to use these down low.

Shin... model it yourself sealed... F3 is 73hz sealed... don't claim that 200hz is it's low end... in small ported it can go into the 55hz range

Fs on the delta is 40hz... right around the extremis... and the Omega is 52hz...

200hz is way too high shin... I would consider that the PHL 1120's "low end point" and that thing has an F3 around 220hz sealed

Old 18th February 2006, 02:13 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Audiophilenoob

Shin... model it yourself sealed... F3 is 73hz sealed... don't claim that 200hz is it's low end... in small ported it can go into the 55hz range

Fs on the delta is 40hz... right around the extremis... and the Omega is 52hz...

200hz is way too high shin... I would consider that the PHL 1120's "low end point" and that thing has an F3 around 220hz sealed
That's the range I'd use it in, I wasn't inferring that it the limit of the driver, re-read my post and I think that will be clear. I understand you proud of the design and I wasn't trying to take anything away from it.

Distortion specs are very likely to be best in the 200hz+ range and I wouldn't go above 3.5Khz due to directivity. These were the reasonings behind my choice. This is assuming of course that you were going with a 3-way. I have no problems believing that it would be good in a 2-way also.

I like 3-ways for the dynamic expression and wide, even dispertion they offer, I see this as the main benefit of using this driver. Paired with a 10 or 12 on the low end and a ribbon on top would make for a very dynamic performer.

Old 18th February 2006, 02:20 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

you nemption distortion Shinobi, a point that altso concern me. it has to be the one of this drivers weak points. engineering is the art of compromise, and all things said, we live in a world with a deffined set of natural rules unfortunatly. but time will tell.

Old 18th February 2006, 02:24 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Distortion specs are very likely to be best in the 200hz+ range and I wouldn't go above 3.5Khz due to directivity. These were the reasonings behind my choice. This is assuming of course that you were going with a 3-way. I have no problems believing that it would be good in a 2-way also.

agreed sry... long day filled with phone calls + 4 hr drive

I spoke before I took the time to confirm your intentions

I agree... I don't believe below 150hz it's distortion will be stellar by any means... but probably adequate... and certainly audibly pleasing... midrange (most important) is a shining star as far as my ears can tell... clearest, most natural I've ever heard

as far as 2-ways are concerned though I would still put this as a seriously fantastic choice considering what is on the market today for choices

and probably the best/one of the best in car audio for sure

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!