check it out DIY gurus

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Dylan described it as a midrange without thinking what that means to people now adays... it's a midwoofer/fullrange/midbass/midrange/tweeter/super tweeter"

wow, very impressive indeed... doesn't it break some kinda law?

i don't see how it's possible... but OK, I will buy them for my BOSE clone project...

cotdt said:
"Dylan described it as a midrange without thinking what that means to people now adays... it's a midwoofer/fullrange/midbass/midrange/tweeter/super tweeter"

wow, very impressive indeed... doesn't it break some kinda law?

what law is that?

surely not hoffman's law

with that low of inductance and a stiff cone there's nothing stopping it from going well into the 12khz range... even though I know for a fact it goes to 13khz+ from the FR

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
badman said:
I'm hard pressed to believe this guy. 93dB @ 70Hz isn't that easy with 1W. 22mm Xmax from an underhung motor? Sounds awfully odd.... perhaps this sensitivity is a derivative of car audio loading? Surely not anechoic.....

I guess the best thing to do is sit back and wait.

Matt is sending the prototype off to various respected testers for independant analysis in the next week or so. I expect within a month we'll have verified results eitherway.

I asked on the forum how I could get samples to test. IF it does what he claims..... We're about to see a whole new genre of speakers on the market, especially 2 ways. The hex style aluminum former that is so long the way it is is curious, certainly flux density could be extremely high in his 'unique' motor.... and if that BL product is...... if if if.... I wanna see verifiable results. I won't bash it 'cause nothin's impossible, but it's an awful lot of advancement in cone drivers all at once....

ShinOBIWAN said:

High BL and low mms would account for the high eff.

Well, except that BL is actually pretty low. Only 3.2 Tm on the 4 ohm version. Compare to 9 on the TB 6.5" neo (also 4 ohm) which is an 84 db/W driver. Hard to see how he can get 10dB more efficiency out of the Omega with 1/3 the motor strength.

I'll reserve judgement until I see some tests, but something about those specs doesn't seem to add up. Regardless, though, if the excursion is close to 20mm a 6.5 that can really act as a true woofer might be interesting whatever the efficiency turns out to be.

If this driver performs as claimed, it will be impressive.
Unfortunately, the specs don't seem to add up. For the T/S parameters published, the moving mass would have to be just 5.2g. This is not probable with a 10 layer voice coil in a 6.5" unit that can move that far and sustain the backpressure that would result from the enclosure.

Can you check your calculations?

Thanks

Andrew

badman said:
I'm hard pressed to believe this guy. 93dB @ 70Hz isn't that easy with 1W. 22mm Xmax from an underhung motor? Sounds awfully odd.... perhaps this sensitivity is a derivative of car audio loading? Surely not anechoic.....

why is that hard to believe... that was the actual measured BL curve

5.2g mms + .55T field with a 64 wind VC that's only 10 winds by 6 layers = that...

input the specs for yourself if you don't believe it the FR is being posted today

AndrewJ said:
If this driver performs as claimed, it will be impressive.
Unfortunately, the specs don't seem to add up. For the T/S parameters published, the moving mass would have to be just 5.2g. This is not probable with a 10 layer voice coil in a 6.5" unit that can move that far and sustain the backpressure that would result from the enclosure.

the coil only weighs 1.2g.... cone weighs 2.2g, aluminum former weighs 0.8g

I assure you not only do we measure every moving structure before we put it in... but those are the tested specs

dwk123 said:

Well, except that BL is actually pretty low. Only 3.2 Tm on the 4 ohm version. Compare to 9 on the TB 6.5" neo (also 4 ohm) which is an 84 db/W driver. Hard to see how he can get 10dB more efficiency out of the Omega with 1/3 the motor strength.

I'll reserve judgement until I see some tests, but something about those specs doesn't seem to add up. Regardless, though, if the excursion is close to 20mm a 6.5 that can really act as a true woofer might be interesting whatever the efficiency turns out to be.

why is that hard.... it has a TON lower mms

Mms = efficency... period... if you want any decent QTS specs

efficency is 93db/w... and the shallower version we can raise that up to 96db/w if we used the lighter patent pending former

BTW there are plenty of full range 6.5's with less than 3g mms... just take that into account doubting it

people that IS a 3" RING neo magnet... N42 grade.... it's over 15x stronger than the same sized Ceramic 8 magnet...

it would take something like a 11" diameter Ceramic 8 magnet to accomplish the same thing.... this isn't some little 1" disc on the omega... it would equate to something like the area from 15 1" NEO magnets used on speakers like the Delta and other Neo mids

anyone can figure it out from these pieces added together

63 winds, 1.5 mm tall VC, .55T across entire gap, 5.2g mms (MEASURED). 44mm thick top plate...

other than that wait till people hear it... I'm the only one yet besides an OEM buyer... let's just say my PHL 1120's are getting sold very very soon ;)

model the specs up also... it's easy to see where this speaker rests

Okay, another comparison - Eminence Alpha 6 - a well-known 93db/W driver. This one isn't that far off - in the ballpark actually. 8Ohm in this case, Bl 8 vs 6.x for the 8 ohm omega. Mms is 7 g. Fs is much higher on the Eminence at 118, but Vas is much lower.
So, in comparison to the Eminence it doesn't look entirely unreasonable. It makes for an awfully light cone though - it'll be interesting to see whether it is strong enough to make use of the Xmax.

edit - noob's post came in while I was typing this reply. In retrospect, the TB driver is a bad comparison - over 30g mms!

dwk123 said:
Okay, another comparison - Eminence Alpha 6 - a well-known 93db/W driver. This one isn't that far off - in the ballpark actually. 8Ohm in this case, Bl 8 vs 6.x for the 8 ohm omega. Mms is 7 g. Fs is much higher on the Eminence at 118, but Vas is much lower.
So, in comparison to the Eminence it doesn't look entirely unreasonable. It makes for an awfully light cone though - it'll be interesting to see whether it is strong enough to make use of the Xmax.

it's not like anyone upon examination can question what this thing can do

the cone is strong enough... the weight is removed via the VC and the former really.... the cone is a custom paper that was pressed to be as stiff as possible... hence why resonances are pushed so high but are on a higher order of magnitude... unless we used a much much heavier cone comparable to aluminum the stiffness couldn't be improved upon per gram of weight (unless you used a ceramic)

The omega home version lists for $270 MSRP.... and will only be available in that manner once we stop selling direct in a mth...

to give a scale here people about the neo magnet used... just that magnet... costs as much as producing your average Seas Excel 6.5"... the complete speaker...

if that's not enough the flux from that thing is as large as the entire magnet structure of the Adire parthenon... it's not something to mess around with... it is costly to even handle a magnet like that as far as production let alone buy one.... that thing would lift your average refridgerator and can break fingers etc.

to be honest that magnet is the only way we achieved what we did... and it's not hard to imagine given that size of a neodymium magnet how we achieved what we did

the VC wire we use is the nicest ever used in a speaker I know of
"High temperature" VC's mean 180C stable coatings...
most chinese speakers use 150C coating...

ours is stable in bursts to 300C... and all day can take 250C

the 125w RMS is underrated I assure you... I've used well over 200w into it for a long listening session

Audiophilenoob said:

the 125w RMS is underrated I assure you... I've used well over 200w into it for a long listening session
:whazzat:
While I'm all for new drivers on the market, and I really like the design of yours :D , I gotta take issue with that. 200W into it RMS for a long listening session? Sounds like hearing damage to me.... And even the best voicecoils are hard pressed to dissipate THAT much heat (though no doubt the aluminum former with vents helps)

Anyway, per our discussion, when these get into regular production, we'll have to get a pair over here, 'cause despite my reservations, the design is very impressive, and motors HAVE been coming a way in the past few years (huzzah!)

When you mention a high q resonance, what sort of frequency? Surely that could limit such a drivers usefulness up high, if one were to want to avoid a hardcore notch filter (and/or distortion byproducts correlating to the peak)

Anyway, excuse my skepticism, I reallly like the design, I've just never seen a driver that could do EVERYTHING the way you say this does. I'm all for it if it does! Opens up a LOT of options in terms of minimalist 2 way designs that actually can thump and maintain modest sensitivity.

Very interesting driver design. Of course I'm skeptical, but I always do applaud new technology.

Looks like an impressive driver. The potential issues I see are related to the size of the surround components and the low mass of the cone.

Larger suspension components typically have higher distortion in the higher frequencies. You can actually see waves in the surround and spider with laser interferometry, but for those without that kind of equipment (like me) the effects are often more visible in linear and non-linear distortion.

With the cone, "light" always conflicts with "stiff", which clearly explains the higher distortion I typically measure in high efficiency drivers.

Long excursion and low distortion motors are easy. The real rocket science is in the material science behind the cone and suspension components. These elements are not described in any detail at all, and may in fact just be generic off the shelf items. This is why I'm skeptical. I'll hold on to some of my skepticism until a frequency response curve, harmonic distortion plot and IMD plot prove otherwise.

Regards,
John

Status
Not open for further replies.