Leeloo construction about to begin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They're an old project mating a couple of Audax units in a 2way configuration. I can't remember the finer details but I want to revisit them soon to play with the crossover as I was never completely satisfied with the sound.

As a side note to prevent vibrations an rattles I used some adhesive foam strips to damp vibrations and arranged to DVD's to fit snug in the stand area.

I look forward to seeing how you progress

Steve

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
adason said:

maybe you don't need the door, just have the shelves facing back
book still easily accessible
nice wood on the front....

But the cabinet will be up against the wall.

Side mounting will limit things because the depth of the cabinet is less than the width. Unless you have both side open and capable of mounting DVD's and CD's.

And why do people keep saying these will be for books? :D

ShinOBIWAN said:

Nice work Stee

Thanks for saying but in the flesh they're quite rough, one of those where I built and didn't go any further than my first attempt with the crossover or the finish.
I'll get around to working further on them one day but you know how it is....
I hope it's obvious that the DVD space is integral to the design ie the whole lot is one unit, rather than Davids proposal of a separate enclosure and stand combination.

Everybody that has seen these have been impressed with the idea of combining storage with the foot print of the enclosure. :D

Steve

Well done Stee-b. Knew there had to been somebody out there ;)
Personally I don't think I'd be entirely comfortable with the shelves under my main speakers (assuming I was using 2-ways) because they are not flush against a wall like a bookshelf and bass levels are much higher causing a potential rattle problem. You're also looking directly at them whereas these will be on the sides or back of the living room.

On another note, the bass/mid driver. I'm having 2nd thoughts about the 15W/8530 after I heard about some issues in it's response (esp 800Hz), plus it's quite expensive. A couple of other candidates could be the Dynaudio 15W75 (real easy to cross over to & $100 cheaper), or the new Seas W15LY001 (a bit of a mystery). Any thoughts on those or other suggestions?

Attachments

• feb11.jpg
    feb11.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 147
Of particular concern is the depth of the bass/mid - i.e how far behind the front baffle the acoustic centre is. There's only so much a sloped-baffle & phase correction can achieve and I'm trying to keep the crossover simple because it's only a 7 litre enclosure.
Does anybody have an idea of the acoustic centre depth of the Seas Nextel (or mag drivers) or the Scanspeak 15W8530?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
David Gatti said:
Does anybody have an idea of the acoustic centre depth of the Seas Nextel (or mag drivers) or the Scanspeak 15W8530?

There's a couple of opinions on just where the acoustic center is on a regular cone driver.

Is it the VC itself? Or the point were the former joins to the cone?

The truth is that there isn't a definite acoustic center since the cone is non linear in shape and isn't a perfect point source. The waves are propagated from across the entire surface of the cone and therefor have differing distances to your ear however small. My own thought is to take it from the point were the cone joins the former, the truth is more likely to be that its a fixed point floating just in front of the cone.

I'd appreciate if anyone could elaborate and be more accurate than I.

I agree with you, about the point where the voice-coil former meets the diaphragm, give or take, depending on cone material & geometry.
Question is, what's the figure for the W15LY001? It's hard to tell from the diagrams and I don't know anybody who uses them. I think it's safe to assume it's the same as the magnesium cone drivers so will have to do a little googling.

Here's a pic of a Seas mag driver which I'm going to use to get an approximate acoustic centre measurement.
Scaling the image to the correct size of 145mm diameter, the voicecoil former mets the diaphram at about 23mm behind the front surface.
So that's the estimate I'm going to use for the W15LY001 (Nextel version) which appears to have the same geometry.
That offset will be perfectly negated by a 9 degree slope on the front baffle.

Attachments

• w26fxscaled.jpg
    w26fxscaled.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 213
After much thought, I've decided to use the Seas W15LY over the Scanspeak 15W8530 because it has less inductance, a lighter diaphragm, greater Xmax and the test reports I've seen here
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1025
of the W18NX suggests no problem at all reaching beyond 5kHz.
Also it's cheaper, looks better and is a much newer design than the Scanspeak. Here's a preliminary LspCAD simulation of the expected response (see pic).

Attachments

• screenhunter_004.jpg
    screenhunter_004.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 202
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.