running 11 speaker cables and 6 interconnects next to each other through a narrow spa - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2006, 09:05 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default running 11 speaker cables and 6 interconnects next to each other through a narrow spa

I know little about speaker cables. I want to run two active systems, in a room with a double door in the centre of the wall between the speakers (no other wall option).

So I need to run 11 speaker cables and about 6 interconnects through a narrow space above the doors. I was intending to construct a simple horizontal channel about 1.8 m long * 60 * 100 mm (6 feet * 2.5 * 4 inches), and run all the cables through that, lying next to each other.

Will running 11 speaker cables and 6 interconnects next to each other through a narrow space cause any problems?

Fyi, the interconnects will be Belden coax, and speaker cables probably Supra Rondo 4x2.5 with tin plated fine strands & PVC jackets.
Supra’s R = 6.8 ohms/ km, L = 0.35 uH/ m.

Thanks
Old 14th February 2006, 09:43 PM   #2
Trebla is offline Trebla  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Will running 11 speaker cables and 6 interconnects next to each other through a narrow space cause any problems?
I suspect not.
Why not try a test run using some tape to hold all the cables tightly together before you commit to building anything. If it sounds ok then it will most likely be the same when installed in channelling.
Old 14th February 2006, 09:53 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to joe carrow
If you run into problems, the general practice is to keep cable pairs close together to minimize the area between a pair conducting a current, and to twist pairs to randomize the radiated field.

Obviously you can't twist the coax, but the speaker cables can probably be twisted. I'm with Trebla- give it a try and see how it sounds.

Also, try to avoid any large metal objects (Cast iron decorative moldings, steel beams, etc), since their magnetic permeability can increase any inductive coupling effects.
Old 14th February 2006, 10:41 PM   #4
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The 'proper' way to do it is balanced, but maybe that's overkill for your situation.
Old 14th February 2006, 11:25 PM   #5
hermanv is offline hermanv  United States
diyAudio Member

It depends on amplifier power. A high powered amp will drive many amperes into a speaker cable causing a fairly strong magnetic field.

Any interaction on different pairs of speaker cables will probably be insignificant but interaction between speaker cables and interconnect cables could at the least cause some degradation (happened to me) and at worst cause your power amp to oscillate. Under worst case conditions this could damage the amp or the speakers.

If interconnects are kept about 6" away from speaker cables and not run parallel to them you should be OK.
Old 15th February 2006, 03:38 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

A test run would make sense, though the building works are happening now and the amps & speakers won’t all be built for several months . .

I’ll make sure I keep pairs close, and twist pairs to randomize the radiated field.

Some largish metal objects (wall lights) are to be in the vicinity, I’ll see if I can shift them.
Also some electric cables are just behind plasterboard (dry wall) *right next to the channel – should I do some sort of shield?

I was tempted by balanced, but for one thing it’s already quite involved.

I can make a space now where interconnects are kept about 6" away from speaker cables, thanks.

The horn system watts will be usually < 1.
The 90 dB SS system is typical, usually < 10.
However the EQ subs are only about 84 dB, running up to *100 watts.

Should the cables carrying the high watts be routed differently?

Thanks
Old 15th February 2006, 06:05 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default FYI speaker cable buyers in Australia

Jaycar have just discontinued their good value Supra Rondo cables (Jaycar WB 1723, WB 1724).

Remnants are in some stores.

Cheers
Old 15th February 2006, 07:57 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
some electric cables are just behind plasterboard (dry wall) *right next to the channel – should I do some sort of shield?
That would be a good idea. I'd go for metal trunking if it's practical. You may find that your local electrical installation code requires a specific minimum distance between mains and LT cables anyway to avoid the possibility of dangerous current being induced into the wiring.
Old 15th February 2006, 09:28 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks dnsey

I’ll ask the ‘sparky’ to check the electrical code re the minimum distances, but what are *LT cables; and what is “metal trunking”

Anyone with a view -

Should the cables carrying up to 100 watts be routed separately?

Cheers
Old 15th February 2006, 11:06 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
what are *LT cables; and what is “metal trunking”
LT=low tension, i.e. cables not carrying mains current.

Trunking - metal channeling designed for protecting cable runs (but also provides good screening),available in many types and sizes - ask your 'sparky' :-)
If you do use it, get the sort with a central divider, and run the speaker cables one side and the signal interconnects the other.

Hide this!Advertise here!