Not the usual box..... (PIC)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently did these for a brother-in-law. He has opted to finish them himself. They start off in 3/4 MDF cabinet clad with a 1/4" oak ply. The bases are solid mahogany; the trim is also mahogany to accomadate the bevel reveal. To me the beauty of diy'ing is to allow the creative juices to flow. The speaker drivers and crossovers are designed by Ed Frias.
But how do they sound; the usual question. Subjectively.... GREAT!
My goal here is to show that many builds don't have to follow the typical box design. Speakers can be food for the aural and visual perceptions.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I hope these are inspirational to your next build.

Yes those are the connectors you see. The wire is hidden in the stand.
I buy my drivers and cross over components from Solens Canada (Canadian eh). I build my own crossovers. The drivers listed in the Madisound url are correct for the ARdiy build.
I wanted to show that there other options rather than the rectangular box. This is the beauty of diying.
Here is another thread on a build I did last year.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23208&perpage=10&pagenumber=6

Post #58 and #59

Nice design! I'm trying to mock up something similar for a pair of desktop speakers. Although I'd like to have a sloping front baffle to help with first reflections off the desk, but I'm not sure.

Just wondering if you had to modify the crossover at all to accomodate the minimal front baffle?

peace

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.