Tell me about your midrange enclosure please.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
At some point I am going to begin constructing lower range cabs for a pair of dayton 12" hifi woofers to match some compression drivers i am building tractrix horns for. whew. The crossover point will be 500hz which is quite high for the 12", but I do not want to do a three way save perhaps adding a passive supertweeter in the future. The box will be about two or three cubic feet, which is another question, what would a good box size be for this woofer especially if i was thinking of using an LT on it in the future.

All that however is not the point. I am deathly scared of building a midrange box because I hate box coloration. I would do dipole bass in a heartbeat if i could afford two or more woofers. I also crave bass, college student.

My plan right now is to build one layer box of .75" particle board with plenty of screws, glew, and nails. Then, drill some holes on opposing sides to drive dowels through to connect each side. this first layer will also contain a whole suitable for the driver. After that i will cut to fit another piece of board, perhaps with mitred edges, for each side and attach these pieces with lots of glue flush to the side. No screw holes and this should lead to a nice finishable surface. Then stuff with fibreglass.

I figure an inch and a half of particle board should be fairly non resonant at the upper end of the frequency range and pretty stiff lower. and with those dowels in place this box should be pretty solid. stuff to kill standing waves.

Any advice?
Many thanks.

cal, I have...

I thought about going with horns because of a few reasons:
I got five altec lansing 288c drivers for free which are quite exsensive, which might translate to good...
they can play very loudly. I am a college student. This is good.
I have heard that they offer very low distortion.
And someday in the future, I might consider building a tube amp for them I wont have to spend thousands of dollars on iron and whatnot to get good spl.

For those reasons, any other horn logic, I have considered horns. Tell me your feelings on the subject please.

thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.