any research into off axis response Vs tweeter face profile - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2006, 11:32 AM   #1
Puggie is offline Puggie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default any research into off axis response Vs tweeter face profile

As the title says; I've read Zaph's off axis tweeter response roundup and it got me thinking (that and pulling apart some ATCs whice use the Vifa D26 ceramic magnet with their own machined face plate), has anyone done anything similar, but tried a number of different profiles of face plate flare on the same tweet (or a selection of tweets)?
Old 7th February 2006, 07:08 PM   #2
Zaph is offline Zaph  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: any research into off axis response Vs tweeter face profile

Quote:
Originally posted by Puggie
As the title says; I've read Zaph's off axis tweeter response roundup and it got me thinking (that and pulling apart some ATCs whice use the Vifa D26 ceramic magnet with their own machined face plate), has anyone done anything similar, but tried a number of different profiles of face plate flare on the same tweet (or a selection of tweets)?
Well, I once took a D26NC55, removed the flange and put a custom 1/2" waveguide on it. Results shown below. It put a mild boost centered at 3.5khz. It worked well to raise output in that area when used with a narrow cabinet that had a diffraction related dip there.
Attached Images
File Type: gif d26nc55-halfinchhorn-stock.gif (12.0 KB, 213 views)
Old 7th February 2006, 09:59 PM   #3
AJinFLA is offline AJinFLA  United States
Banned

Quote:
I once took a D26NC55, removed the flange
When you say removed, do you mean cut it off, or is the faceplate actually removable?

Cheers,

AJ
Old 7th February 2006, 11:58 PM   #4
Zaph is offline Zaph  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AJinFLA

When you say removed, do you mean cut it off, or is the faceplate actually removable?

Cheers,

AJ
Removed it. See image below. The dome/coil assembly also pops off and is replaceable.

The remaining assembly was press fit into a board that had a 1-5/16" hole with a 1/2" routered roundover. No complex shape or anything, just a 90 degree arc with a .5" radius. I've come to the conclusion this is a prefered way to mount this tweeter, and it sure beats the hell out of countersinking that odd flange shape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d26nc55-parts.jpg (91.5 KB, 225 views)
Old 8th February 2006, 12:32 PM   #5
AJinFLA is offline AJinFLA  United States
Banned

Thanks John,

try to save that gem if you make it to the DST meeting .

Cheers,

AJ
Old 8th February 2006, 09:23 PM   #6
Puggie is offline Puggie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Nice Zaph, I had a little play with some Morel (USA) MDT30s and routered a flare into the wood baffle, then mounted the tweet less its baffle into this.

that D26NC looks very simple to play with though. I may just have to try some different raduis and chamfered faceplates, I just need a measurement mic.

Hide this!Advertise here!