Reversed tweeter deep notch?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Raka:

I am not sure of your question.

In the conventional 12 dB/octave passive crossover, if the tweeter is not reversed in polarity, there generally is a notch. If the tweeter is reversed in polarity with respect to the woofer or midrange, there is not supposed to be a notch.

Yes, you are right, I didn't explain myself. I mean the notch you get if the tweeter is not correctly connected according to the xover, but reversed. Theorically, if the phase tracking is perfect between the two drivers in the xover region you should get an infinite notch, but this is not achievable. I see it as the final test of quality in a xover.
In my last filter (active) I'm getting around 20db, but like to know what values are common out there.

Raka said:
Yes, you are right, I didn't explain myself. I mean the notch you get if the tweeter is not correctly connected according to the xover, but reversed. Theorically, if the phase tracking is perfect between the two drivers in the xover region you should get an infinite notch, but this is not achievable. I see it as the final test of quality in a xover.
In my last filter (active) I'm getting around 20db, but like to know what values are common out there.

About 40 dB is as deep as it can get.

audio-speaker17-modeled-reversenull.gif

Still, I think the importance of a deep reverse null is greatly overemphasized. Some designers tweak and tweak until it gets as deep as possible, but the off axis lobing at Fc can still look bad.

Raka said:
I see it as the final test of quality in a xover.

Hi,

you can regard it as a test of certain acoustic crossover topologies.

However even with the "best" implementation of a topology the
dip will quickly reduce if you vary the vertical measurement axis.

Widely spaced drivers can have a deep notch, but be inherently poor.

I'd suggest the range of the vertical axis the notch is maintained is a
much better test of xover "quality" than a single axis depth of notch.

:)/sreten.

Well, you are right about the polar response, the funny thing is that at the moment the polar diagram is taking most of my time with the measurements of my dipoles. And as I target a 24LR the lobing problems are less of an issue that with other alignments. But thanks for reminding me the vertical axis existence.

I use various smoothings, and use Speaker Workshop, sometimes ETF, and Sweepscope which is an application made by some friends of mine that includes distortion evaluation and pulse exportation. Very nice, btw.

Thank you. Those look very nice indeed. I like the design. Took me a while to read the whole thread;) .
You have been working on the xo for this dipole since 2004:bigeyes: ? And I thought I took a long time to get my dipoles done:) !
Is it possible your dip below 2k measured @ 30deg above vertical is mainly a function of diffraction caused by the midwoofer cone?

Cheers,

AJ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.