Line Array Drawbacks?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone know of any major draw backs of using only one line of Full range drivers in a line array? I plan on building a pair of speakers using 20 3” tang Band drivers coupled with a power sub, and before I invest, I want to make sure I am not going to regret it. So if anyone knows of any draw backs, please share! Thank you!

I've attached some reference material on the type of project you are talking about.

Tang Band Line Array

Jim Griffin's Line Array White Paper

From the driver perspective, the project shown above addresses the strong points and weaknesses of the little Tang Band. From the line source perspective, a thirty-inch line source is a bit small, and you may find that using more drivers in a larger line to be a definite plus. Those issues are covered in Jim Griffin's white paper.

Good Luck on your project

The Ribbon Project

A single line of 3" drivers is not a good idea.

Suppose you have 3.5" center to center spacing you will start to have comb lines at 3875 Hz and severe comb lines at 7750 Hz.

You should put in a tweeter line, or you could put one tweeter you intend for sitting use.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.