Epoxy or PVA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

If the baffle and box are both made of wood (natural, or compressed derivatives) I reckon you will do better with PVA.

This tends to soak into the wood (being water-based) better than most other adhesives like epoxy etc.

The advantages I see here are that the glue line between the two parts will be much thinner as most of the 'substance' of the glue will have sunk into the wood, and there will be a more intimate contact between the two parts.

With epoxy, I think the joint will also be a little more 'flexible', as there will ultimately be a thin plastic membrane (effectively) between the joined parts when the glue has set.

However, if the fit of the parts is not very good, and some gap-filling is needed, epoxy may well be the better choice as PVA does not bridge gaps so well and the joint can end up 'starved' when the glue fully dries out.

PVA actually 'dries out' partly by evaporation and soaking into the substrate, but epoxy remains 'substantially' much the same as when the glue is applied and the joint is put together, and epoxy hardens merely by a chemical reaction.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob, my thoughts exactly. If epoxy gives me a non-shrinking or less problematic joint then that's what I should go for. I used epoxy to fix my port in MDF but that's becuase I was gluing plastic which isn't absorbent.

Big advantage to PVA is it's easier to work with, clean up, etc.

Mos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.