Kicker VR comp 15 vs. Adire Tempest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
well it is decision time and i have come down to 2 subs.

An Adire Tempest in a 7.8 cubic foot box, with 64 ounces of pollyfill, and tuned to 15.4 hz.

Or a Kicker Comp VR 15 in a 5 cubic foot box tuned to 30 hz.

So which choice should i chose?!?!?

Im open to changes in box size or tuning frequency, but im not open to changing my mind on a sub (it has to either be a kicker comp vr 15, or an adire tempest).

This will be in my room and used for mainly for music purposes, but will occasionally see a DVD.

What is it with you and the Kicker Comp VR? :confused: Do you already own one? Or in the Kicker fan club? It's a car sub first of all designed to work in a very small area (your car). So it's design probably takes into account cabin gain. I have seen people design home audio subs with an Infinity Perfect sub, but why would you want a kicker Comp VR in your house? I had a Kicker Solobaric S15d in my car; it's suppose to preform like two comp VR's in an isobaric setup according to kicker and I would not want that thing where I live. Planet10 already more or less told you that car subs aren't all that.

Someone designed a Tempest 15 enclosure on this website and posted pics. The box was 4x2x2 feet, very big. I would design a sealed box as small as possible. It will still be a very big box, so I can see how you would want to use a car sub designed to go in a small box. I like sealed boxes better even if size isn't a factor, but I guess that's personal preference.

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
I made the 4'x2'x2' ported ebs tempest enclosure, based off the reference designs on the adire audio website tuned to 15.8 hz. If you can stand the size, it will make a nice home theater sub.

I also have the wood cut out for the mid-Q sealed tempest enclosure, but haven't assembled it yet. I will try the driver in both boxes and eventually decide which I like better. it is 4.3 cu. foot.

The reference designs are at:
http://www.adireaudio.com/tech_papers/tempest_apps.htm

If you want to see pictures of my large subwoofer, go to:
http://brian.darg.net/tempest
I am finishing it now by gluing some 1/4" birch plywood over the sides and eventually finishing it with stain and polyurethane.

I don't know what you obsession with the Kicker VR is...

EDIT: just saw your post... it is up to you as to what you want to do. I didn't have any subs laying around, so I bought a tempest. I would ebay them and buy a tempest,based off the experiences that I have had with my tempest.

--
Brian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.