old speaker question, bullet midrange question & link to speaker project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi, guys. i'm a newbie to this forum.

i am hoping that someone can answer my three questions:

1] about 20 years ago there was a very boxy (about 33"x33"x33"speaker with 18" woofer, ~8" midrange and a tweeter. at the time i think they were going for about $1000 each. can anyone give me a link or info on these speakers ?

2] does anyone make a bullet midrange? i've built my own system using a 12" woofer (ported), 7-8" focal lower mid, a 20"x8" midrange horn and a big bullet tweeter.

3] i've lost a link to a site that had plans to put (4) 15" woofers back to back to back to back (they suggested acoustic suspension woofers in the middle), dual 4" ports on the bottom and a single rectangular port on top. anyone know the speakers i'm talking about?

thanks guys.

well, it took some prodding (from an old movie, believe it or not), and i think the name of the speakers were Hartleys. now if i can only find a link or a place that still sells them.

i'm still trolling the net looking for the speaker d.i.y. link; heck i'm even looking through my old floppies for favourites that i have saved.

and the full bullet midrange i saw at a wedding - i was too stunned to ask the guy where he got them. all i remember is that they had that sweet horn sound.

thanks planet10. (vulcan?)

-wal

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
wallijonn said:
well, it took some prodding (from an old movie, believe it or not), and i think the name of the speakers were Hartleys. now if i can only find a link or a place that still sells them.

Those i can help a bit with. No web presence, but at least a remnant of the company exists. I'll have to dig for an address.

These guys are most notorious for their 24" woofer. I have a pdf of the brochure from which the picture came, if anyone is interested.

planet10. (vulcan?)

No. Bucaroo Banzai. Planet 10 is where the 'Lectroids are from.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
planet10 said:
from which the picture came

Oops forgot the picture.

Attachments

• hartley.jpg
    hartley.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 349
thanks, planet10.

yeah, those are the babies. a year ago i found a pair in pennsylvania - but i was 1 week too late.

for some reason they made an impression on me which i have not forgotten to this day. believe it or not, i was most impressed with the midrange - guess the bass wasn't overpowering.

how about a picture with the grille cover off?

or even better, how about emailling me that pdf file?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
wallijonn said:
i found ONE link to Hartley-Luth speakers. a Mr. Bell said that they were infinite baffles with the cotton battens inside. quess that's why they impressed me as not being bassy.

Don't have any pics without the grills. The mid was a 10" and the tweeter a 7".

called a Hartley Boffle. I have a paper article on that somewhere.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.