Bass reflex port "redesign" - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2006, 11:02 AM   #1
Khron is offline Khron  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Khron Send a message via MSN to Khron Send a message via Yahoo to Khron
Default Bass reflex port "redesign"

I hope i'll be able to afford to start work on some bookshelf speakers ASAP. The thing is that, from what i've simulated in WinISD, most of the 6.5" midwoofers work best in ported boxes. Given that i'd want to make the boxes as small as possible (~7-8 litres), i don't really have room for round ports on the baffle. (Plus, AFAIK, they're supposed to be placed at least one diameter away from the closest wall).

So, i was thinking of doing a rectangular port, like i saw on some bookshelves, except that i want to place the opening towards the front, not towards the back. I'm attaching a picture with the two variants i had in mind.

I'm not sure of the equivalation between the round and rectangular port... I'm hoping to get some useful and constructive input from you guys...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boxa.jpg (5.1 KB, 331 views)
Old 31st January 2006, 11:09 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Whether the port is round or rectangular, the same rules apply. Just make the rectangular port the same cross sectional area as a round port and make it the same length. I've often heard it said that front porting works better on small speakers as the port output will contain a fair amount of upper bass/lower midrange.
Old 31st January 2006, 11:15 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Khron Send a message via MSN to Khron Send a message via Yahoo to Khron
I was suspecting something like that.

Also, I read that port air velocity should be kept below 20m/s...
Old 31st January 2006, 11:40 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

The right design will not allow close driver centers. Of the two designs, I would use the left design.

You could put the slot port on the side(s)
Old 31st January 2006, 11:59 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Slots on the side is a bit even more awkward than my idea But i'll take that into consideration, nonetheless.

One more question though: if i'm going to biamp my speakers, would Zobel networks on the woofer and tweeter be of any REAL use? (i'm not a fan of doing things just for the hell of it...)
Old 31st January 2006, 12:05 PM   #6
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

I would use the version on the right, but below the woofer instead. I would also utilise the bottom panel of the box to form one side of the slot vent.
Old 31st January 2006, 12:22 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Here's an example of what richie00boy suggested.
Old 31st January 2006, 12:34 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

That's pretty much what i'd want, thanks a lot, gfinlayson

Any ideas on the Zobel thing? (considering active filters and bi-amping..)
Old 31st January 2006, 12:48 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

With active filters and bi-amping you don't need zobels. Zobels are primarily used on woofers to keep a constant impedance, without them the woofer impedance increases with frequency and hinders the woofer's roll-off in the crossover. With active circuits, it's not an issue, unless you are using tube amps, where they would be sensible from an output impedance matching viewpoint.
Old 31st January 2006, 02:12 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I'm far from having (or wanting, for that matter) the funds for tube amps. I intend to use some gainclone pairs for each speaker, powered from some modified PC PSUs

Hide this!Advertise here!