Bass reflex port "redesign"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I hope i'll be able to afford to start work on some bookshelf speakers ASAP. The thing is that, from what i've simulated in WinISD, most of the 6.5" midwoofers work best in ported boxes. Given that i'd want to make the boxes as small as possible (~7-8 litres), i don't really have room for round ports on the baffle. (Plus, AFAIK, they're supposed to be placed at least one diameter away from the closest wall).

So, i was thinking of doing a rectangular port, like i saw on some bookshelves, except that i want to place the opening towards the front, not towards the back. I'm attaching a picture with the two variants i had in mind.

I'm not sure of the equivalation between the round and rectangular port... I'm hoping to get some useful and constructive input from you guys...

Attachments

• boxa.jpg
    boxa.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 362
Whether the port is round or rectangular, the same rules apply. Just make the rectangular port the same cross sectional area as a round port and make it the same length. I've often heard it said that front porting works better on small speakers as the port output will contain a fair amount of upper bass/lower midrange.

With active filters and bi-amping you don't need zobels. Zobels are primarily used on woofers to keep a constant impedance, without them the woofer impedance increases with frequency and hinders the woofer's roll-off in the crossover. With active circuits, it's not an issue, unless you are using tube amps, where they would be sensible from an output impedance matching viewpoint.

I'm usually kind of a KISS guy (keep it simple, stupid) :D

One more inquiry...

I haven't yet made my mind up about the drivers i want...

I was considering Visatons at one point, but the guy that could get me some advised me against them (W130 SC 8ohm / SC 10N), instead directing my attention towards Tonsil products.

If any of you guys have some ideas of decent drivers that won't "break the bank" (ie. not Seas Excel ;) ), here's some of my "requirements":

Woofer: 5.5", 8ohm, ~90dB/1W/1m, Fs as low as possible, mids as flat as possible, up to 2-3KHz

Tweeter: 1", 8ohm, fabric dome, ~90dB/1W/1m, Fs ~7-900Hz, as flat as possible up to 20KHz.

Looking forward to your input,
Chris

Weird stuff...

I did some sims in WinISD and.. it came up with some weird results. For example, for a port height of 4cm (1.5") and width of about 20cm (8"), it spat out a required port depth of ~50cm (20"). I KNOW that can't be right.

So, if anyone has some ideas of some equations or something, to "turn" a round port into a rectangular one, I'd be most grateful.

Yep, that sounds about right. The bigger the port, the longer it has to be to provide the same acoustic resistance. As boydon_lepasci said you need to make the port opening much smaller.

To give you a comparison, my current project is a 33 litre enclosure tuned to 33 Hz. It's bottom ported with a 102 mm ID port. The port is over 400 mm long.

According to the port size and length you've given, I reckon your cabinet is what, 8 litres? And tuned to about 60 Hz?

A 1.5 cm x 8 cm port, and 8 cm long will arrive at the same numbers as above, so you need to start again with these sorts of numbers.

There's no black magic in converting from round to rectangular ports. If you design a rectangular port with the same cross-sectional area as a round port, it will have the same length as the round port at a given tuning frequency.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.